AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Chinese High-End Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Denafrips Terminator + DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50721)

BlueSky 01-01-2022 08:16 PM

Denafrips Terminator + DAC

I just received a new DAC to replace the Lumin X1 DAC/Streamer that I had used for the past several years.

The Denafrips Terminator + is proving to be a "Stradivarius" of a DAC with only a couple of hours on it providing a completely holographic soundstage from my modest system. As an aside, it is built like a tank coming in at pretty close to 20 Kg in it's "birthday suit" if that is of any value.

I'll come back after an appropriate break in period with any additional thought that I have.

Happy New Year folks!

kubla36 01-01-2022 10:09 PM

Mine liked a better power cord.

FreddieFerric 01-01-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 1052331)
Mine liked a better power cord.

Usually the way it goes in this game.

OP. Congrats on the upgrade. :thumbsup:

dentlfly 01-05-2022 12:02 PM

i just upgraded to a mac c1100 preamp and 462 amp. i play all vinyl but thinking of adding a streamer. need a DAC as well. was considering the lumen T2 as well as naim and bricasti. did you not like the lumin X1? there are so many options in this arena. thx.

ed

njcardave 01-05-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentlfly (Post 1052624)
i just upgraded to a mac c1100 preamp and 462 amp. i play all vinyl but thinking of adding a streamer. need a DAC as well. was considering the lumen T2 as well as naim and bricasti. did you not like the lumin X1? there are so many options in this arena. thx.

ed

I have a Lumin U1 connected to a Bryston BDA3 DAC, playing through a PrimaLuna EVO 400 and McIntosh MC 462. I’m very happy with the overall soundscape. I would recommend buying a streamer with the option of adding on an outboard DAC.

BlueSky 03-02-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentlfly (Post 1052624)

ed

I liked the X1. It was brilliant! It was simply time to try something else. I just added the GAIA DDC to the front end of the T+ and am getting ready to do some critical listening in a day or so. So I go from the HTPC's USB to the GAIA and via I2S to the T+ DAC and then via XLR analog out to the rest of the system.

tdelahanty 03-02-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcardave (Post 1052668)
I have a Lumin U1 connected to a Bryston BDA3 DAC, playing through a PrimaLuna EVO 400 and McIntosh MC 462. I’m very happy with the overall soundscape. I would recommend buying a streamer with the option of adding on an outboard DAC.

I'm doing something similar, my U1 goes to the dac in my K01x via Nordost coax. Recently I tried the X1 and did not like it as well. The U1/K01x combo has much better soundstage and bass.

n_brio1 04-25-2022 07:43 AM

BlueSky have you done any critical listening yet?
I was about to buy the lumin x1 tom my rig but maybe its going to be a denafrips dac =)

My system Pc Jcat usb -> C2700 -> Mc452 -> Amatia tradition

BlueSky 04-25-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_brio1 (Post 1059493)
BlueSky have you done any critical listening yet?
I was about to buy the lumin x1 tom my rig but maybe its going to be a denafrips dac =)

My system Pc Jcat usb -> C2700 -> Mc452 -> Amatia tradition

I think either setup would be a winner. Yes, I have done some critical listening and, although I don't have the command of the English language that a true audiophile reviewer seems to need to write a good review, I like the new-found holographic soundstage that the Terminator + / GAIA DDC gives me. I call it voluptuous. Like comparing Jane Mansfield to Twiggy or Gwyneth Paltrow. Truly three dimensional and the old B&W N801s have never sounded finer nor has their disappearing act ever been so good.

kubla36 02-25-2023 02:02 AM

If using Roon in the chain to your Terminator+, and like the Terminator’s over sampling mode, I suggest turning the DSP over sampling in Roon to its max rate also (Sample rate conversion: Max PCM rate).

Presuming your Roon core has the cpu (the M1 mini I use run 12-15 processing speed with this running — I’ve not loaded any convolutions yet).