AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Seeking advice building stereo system with Sabrina X (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50562)

Blackfield 12-18-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all2ears (Post 1051280)
Welcome to the site ... one of the keys to a great set up is balanced components - Great speakers with a lesser quality amp is only gong to let you hear what great speakers sound like with a lesser quality amp - No fun there

At the level of components you are considering might be a good ides to factor cable costs into your budget - Quality equipment need quality cabling

Everyone has a preference and mine is WireWorld Silver Electra (I got mine from MasterLu) - You may want to think about replacing the standard issue power cords and interconnects - Quality cables aren't cheap but the plus side is they don't need a lot of updating for audio

If you do go the Mc452 route a dedicated 20 amp line is a McIntosh recommendation - Another component is a quality power conditioner .... dirty electricity is your enemy - It will make a measurable difference ... I mean you can actually have it measured

Anyway congratulations and enjoy the journey

Thank you. Here is what I got so far.
* Audioquest Robin Hood Zero speaker cable - worked out a deal with my Wilson Audio dealer.
* Shunyata Research Alpha USB to feed opticalRendu to MA12000 - just purchased it used from a forum member.
* Future - still need power cord for the MA12000 and perhaps ethernet cable.

At this point I need to prioritize what comes next, it is likely going to be room treatment first vs. cabling. Any thoughts on the order of importance?

all2ears 12-18-2021 04:49 PM

Rotation wise I start at the circuit breaker and go to the socket then to the power conditioner and move forward to the components bearing in mind weak cables limit good upstream component performance .... power cords are key

For room treatment check out GIK .... they are forum members - Basic panels that do the job and their quality far exceeds their price - For a room your size it won't be a lot of $$$$ .... they'll help you design a treatment plan

Blackfield 12-24-2021 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Christmas comes early... the MA12000 arrived two days ago.

It is currently paired with KEF LS50 and it never sounds better, really happy with the amp. I can't wait to pair it with SabrinaX.

Happy holiday everyone.

Charles 12-25-2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1051733)

It is currently paired with KEF LS50 and it never sounds better, really happy with the amp. I can't wait to pair it with SabrinaX.

Happy holiday everyone.

Super congrats! For looks, sonics, build quality, and value, McIntosh remains THE BEST. This really is a stunning piece of gear. :yes:

Best

Charles

FreddieFerric 12-26-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1051733)

Happy holiday everyone.

Congratulations! How the heck did your dealer swing such a quick turnaround on the MA12000 order? :scratch2:

A few of us poor saps have been in Mc delivery limbo on our orders for a while now. :tears:

Any news on the Wilson's?

dkorbal 12-26-2021 04:12 PM

Congratulations blackfield! Did you end up with the opticalrendu? If so, did you notice the noise floor drop?

Blackfield 12-26-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1051741)
Super congrats! For looks, sonics, build quality, and value, McIntosh remains THE BEST. This really is a stunning piece of gear. :yes:

Best

Charles

Thank you Charles, really appreciate the advice I have gotten thus far from you and everyone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1051783)
Congratulations! How the heck did your dealer swing such a quick turnaround on the MA12000 order? :scratch2:

A few of us poor saps have been in Mc delivery limbo on our orders for a while now. :tears:

Any news on the Wilson's?

Hi FreddieFerric,
I purchased the MA12000 used (1 year warranty) from a well known McIntosh online dealer. The amp is in excellent condition that I don't think I can tell the difference vs. new one, no blemish anywhere that I can find.

Their service is excellent as you can see from the packaging, it took only 5 days to ship the amp from Northeast to TX.

Time will tell if the amp will be trouble free and worth the serious saving that I got; I am counting on McIntosh reputation for the amp to last a lifetime!

I assume you are ordering a new 1502, I hope you get yours really soon.

Still no news on the Wilson. I originally I was quoted 12 weeks time so it will put it to some time in early March.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051806)
Congratulations blackfield! Did you end up with the opticalrendu? If so, did you notice the noise floor drop?

Hi dkorbal, thank you again for your pointer on the DAC streamer thread. Yes - I got the opticalRendu.

To be honest, I can't provide my impression just on the opticalRendu since I upgraded the amp, the Shunyata Research Alpha USB cable and opticalRendu all at the same time. I am still using generic speaker cable that will be replaced by AudioQuest RobinHood Zero.

My previous system was Computer -> generic USB cable-> ~$100 DAC (I can't remember the brand) -> RCA cable -> NAD C372 ->generic speaker cable -> KEF LS50.

In comparison to previous system, my KEF LS50 now sounds leaps and bounds better. I listened to the Dark Side of the Moon album recently, there are so many details that I missed before. The improvements are so great that I regretted that it took me this long to upgrade my 2 channel stereo.

If SabrinaX can give this much SQ improvements on top what I have, I will be a very happy man indeed.

FreddieFerric 12-27-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1051816)
...My previous system was Computer -> generic USB cable-> ~$100 DAC (I can't remember the brand) -> RCA cable -> NAD C372 ->generic speaker cable -> KEF LS50...

My Gosh! When you got upgradeitis you really got it bad. :yes:

The new gear you have and have ordered is miles ahead of where you started.

Again, congrats. Hopefully this new system will keep you smiling for years to come.

FWIW, McIntosh equipment is top notch in build quality and is made to be generational gear. Should the need arise to contact Mc, I have found their CS to be superb and their parts department very helpful as well. Overall, just a solid company from the ground up.

beantownT 01-01-2022 02:11 AM

Hi all - just started lurking on this forum since yesterday. i'm looking to "potentially" upgrade from Gershman Acoustics Avant Garde LCR to Sabrina X. A big decision point right now is that i only got my amps 4 months ago and dont want to change right now.

I've noticed that most of you are running Mcintosh, Lux or just stereo power amps or monoblocks.

Any one running a 3 or 5 channel amp on their sabrina X? Can you recommend a 3 or 5 channel amp that would have Sabrina X as LR and some easier to drive 8ohm bookshelf for my surround backs?

thanks in advance. I dont have permission to create a thread so semi-hijacking this one...

FreddieFerric 01-02-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beantownT (Post 1052208)
Hi all - just started lurking on this forum since yesterday. i'm looking to "potentially" upgrade from Gershman Acoustics Avant Garde LCR to Sabrina X. A big decision point right now is that i only got my amps 4 months ago and dont want to change right now.

I've noticed that most of you are running Mcintosh, Lux or just stereo power amps or monoblocks.

Any one running a 3 or 5 channel amp on their sabrina X? Can you recommend a 3 or 5 channel amp that would have Sabrina X as LR and some easier to drive 8ohm bookshelf for my surround backs?

thanks in advance. I dont have permission to create a thread so semi-hijacking this one...

Welcome to AA beantownT. :thumbsup:

I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will be along with some good advice for you.

Blackfield 03-01-2022 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After waiting for 11 weeks or so, the SabrinaX finally came last Saturday.
My dealer came and took about 2 hrs (streaming only system) to install and dialed it in yesterday.

The room size is 12' by 15' and the speakers are on the short wall.
My existing credenza fits right in the middle, perfect for the MA12000 stand.

First very early impression:
1. Significant upgrade to my KEF LS50 in all aspects, no surprise here.
2. The sweet high, oh, this tweeter is just amazing, cymbals sound so delicious. It's my first impression when I first auditioned the speakers, glad it is at my house now.
3. On "Vapour Trails by Acoustic Alchemy", I can clearly hear the vibration of the drums got hit by mallets, love this.
4. Midrange, on "I drink wine by Adele", I can hear Adele's lips and her presence is focus, not too forward.
5. I think SabrinaX is the right size for my room size, not overwhelming it. I am sure the speakers are still breaking in, I have not played it really loud yet.

The room is pretty bare at the moment, it only has carpet, I think additional room treatment will improve the sound further but I will do this slowly.

Thank you again for those of you that helped me with the system thus far!

audioguy3107 03-01-2022 12:11 PM

Absolutely love the clean look! The Sabrina’s are perfect for that size room. Enjoy!

- Buck

dkorbal 03-01-2022 02:26 PM

Congrats on the setup. I bet it sounds as nice as it looks.

brownbear 03-01-2022 02:31 PM

Congrats, I also love the nice and clean look.

FreddieFerric 03-01-2022 06:13 PM

Superbly simplistic. I like it!

waltstradlater 03-20-2022 09:03 AM

@blackfield congratulations on what has to be excellent sound. like the other poster above, i want to build a new system around SabrinaX. and - as posted - i have gone from mcintosh skeptic to believer through a secondary system based on LS50s.

as a former wilson owner (duettes w twin jl subs), i know how great these can sound and the sabrinaX looks like an excellent way to get most of the DAW in a friendlier package (price, physical size). actually watching the hilarious Loke debate bc irrespective of its design it may be a no brainer to make a “secret daw” that hides better in a room.

which brings us to electronics, where it seems that a big part of the struggle is that there are a TON of good options to power sabrina at $7500-$20k.

i would love to get everything in one box for streaming, have a LOT of power, and not feel like my streaming solution will be permanently locked in 2022 with risk the world passes it by.

someone should make a list… so far i have gathered:
1) mcintosh integrateds w updated dacs
2) boulder 866 seems really interesting
3) devialet expert which seems really polarizing….not to mention as a phantom owner (2nd home), devialet cant actually support / improve their stuff timely
4) new krell thingy, which i just dont want to look at

after that it all breaks apart bc most awesome integrateds lose the dac so you have to buy streamer / dac from the kind of co i worry will be out of business in the next decade.

whats missing from this list?

FreddieFerric 03-20-2022 02:44 PM

Hey OP, just wondering where you got those guitar wall mounts from in your older photo?

I have an Ovation Balladeer and a Les Paul Deluxe that I've been wanting to display in my room as well. :thumbsup:

Charles 03-22-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1056254)
After waiting for 11 weeks or so, the SabrinaX finally came last Saturday.
My dealer came and took about 2 hrs (streaming only system) to install and dialed it in yesterday.

The room size is 12' by 15' and the speakers are on the short wall.
My existing credenza fits right in the middle, perfect for the MA12000 stand.

First very early impression:
1. Significant upgrade to my KEF LS50 in all aspects, no surprise here.
2. The sweet high, oh, this tweeter is just amazing, cymbals sound so delicious. It's my first impression when I first auditioned the speakers, glad it is at my house now.
3. On "Vapour Trails by Acoustic Alchemy", I can clearly hear the vibration of the drums got hit by mallets, love this.
4. Midrange, on "I drink wine by Adele", I can hear Adele's lips and her presence is focus, not too forward.
5. I think SabrinaX is the right size for my room size, not overwhelming it. I am sure the speakers are still breaking in, I have not played it really loud yet.

The room is pretty bare at the moment, it only has carpet, I think additional room treatment will improve the sound further but I will do this slowly.

Thank you again for those of you that helped me with the system thus far!

Very nice clean setup. I really like it. Absolute congrats! :yes:

Best

Charles

p.s. Now you have a LoKe or two to look forward to. No need for added amps.

Charles 03-22-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltstradlater (Post 1057537)
@blackfield congratulations on what has to be excellent sound. like the other poster above, i want to build a new system around SabrinaX. and - as posted - i have gone from mcintosh skeptic to believer through a secondary system based on LS50s.

as a former wilson owner (duettes w twin jl subs), i know how great these can sound and the sabrinaX looks like an excellent way to get most of the DAW in a friendlier package (price, physical size). actually watching the hilarious Loke debate bc irrespective of its design it may be a no brainer to make a “secret daw” that hides better in a room.

which brings us to electronics, where it seems that a big part of the struggle is that there are a TON of good options to power sabrina at $7500-$20k.

i would love to get everything in one box for streaming, have a LOT of power, and not feel like my streaming solution will be permanently locked in 2022 with risk the world passes it by.

3) devialet expert which seems really polarizing….not to mention as a phantom owner (2nd home), devialet cant actually support / improve their stuff timely

after that it all breaks apart bc most awesome integrateds lose the dac so you have to buy streamer / dac from the kind of co i worry will be out of business in the next decade.

waltstradlater, as far as integrated gear, the MA12000 or new 9500 would supply ample power for SabrinaX. Both are gorgeous gear. Eye candy. :yes:

Blackfield 04-12-2022 10:53 AM

I just saw these new posts.

Quote:

Thank you!
Like you mentioned, there are so many options out there for integrated or separate amps and it was a tough decision as one can't just easily audition all of these.
I narrowed it to McIntosh MA12000 due to their value proposition, reliability history, US based and years of build reputation.
I say `value proposition` in comparison to other high end amps and some people may roll their eyes but I finally understood what Charles mentioned many times across different threads.
In addition to your list, I looked at D'Agostino integrated, Gryphon Diablo 300 at same point.

I actually prefer for an integrated that does not have a streamer built in and buy separate as I feel the technology is even faster moving than DAC. Today, we can buy a separate streamer that cost from $300 to tens of thousand. I can upgrade it separately in the future whenever I feel like it.

I can report that MA12000 can power SabrinaX with ease at my room (12'W x 15'L x 11'H). I listen to music around 87db-90db and I set the volume to 40%-50%.

Good luck with your search and update us with your endeavor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1057563)
Hey OP, just wondering where you got those guitar wall mounts from in your older photo?

I have an Ovation Balladeer and a Les Paul Deluxe that I've been wanting to display in my room as well. :thumbsup:

Hi FreddieFerric,
Here is my guitar hanger.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...base-short-arm

I have it for more than 10 years (4 of these was at my previous house) and I could not have been happier with it.
It is amazingly secure. The front arms lock itself as you put down the guitar and when you raise the guitar to pick it up, the front arms will unlock itself up. Highly recommend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1057689)
Very nice clean setup. I really like it. Absolute congrats! :yes:

Best

Charles

p.s. Now you have a LoKe or two to look forward to. No need for added amps.

Thank you, Charles!

Yes, I have been debating whether I should upgrade the DAC (vs MA2), the streamer or add new subwoofers.
I think adding new subwoofers should be the next step.
I am still unsure about LoKe, not due to the amp, I trust WA knows what it is doing as I am very happy with SabrinaX.
It is really about the budget as once we are talking about stereo, it is $18K.

BTW, congrats on your new MC3500! I love your current row of amps setup - along with MC1.25K, it looks incredible and I can't imagine how it sounds with your XVX, truly an inspirational system!

Charles 04-13-2022 12:00 AM

Blackfield, thank you so much! I believe that Wilson and Mac are synergistic. I am ehjoying the new 3500's so much.

You really do have a beautiful clean looking setup. I think your choice of the MA12000 very wise. If I were purchasing an integrated, it would be the one I would choose. Two LoKe would supercharge your system. And you don't have to concern yourself with amps, thus much fewer cables and cords. Providing you can find the budget, I have found that once you experience the improvement, the pain is quickly forgotten.

I agree with you. I trust Wilson. I suspect the LoKe will be terrific/perfect with Sabrina. Looking at your overall setup, with two LoKe, I would hang a nice TV like what I have and run movies and BR/DVD concerts two channel.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the pleasure derived from such an arrangement. You have a small but wonderful room. Perfect for 2-channel, movies, DVD/BR concerts.

Best

Charles

Hanson 04-23-2022 09:25 AM

Sabrina X and amp choices

Quote:

I will be joining the Wilson family --- Sabrinx X is a possibility. I'm using a Boulder 866 amp (you mentioned) and I like it alot. Plenty of power, wide, deep soundstage, and, very important---- a very low noise floor, which allows low level sounds to come through well.

Cjmv50 05-04-2022 10:59 PM

Has anyone compared the Sabrina to the SabrinaX? A nice used pair of the Sabrinas are going for about half the cost of new SabrinaXs. I was first thinking about a pair of Tune tots for about the same as a pair of used Sabrinas. I called Wilson and was told get the used Sabrinas over new Tune Tots. The dealer said the same thing. I am wondering how much of a n improvement the X is one the original.

PeterMusic 05-05-2022 03:58 PM

All 3 are wonderful. Having said that...The Sabrinas need a subwoofer. The TuneTots REALLY need a subwoofer. My dealer guided me to the TuneTots based on room size and WAF, but I would not describe them as a direct replacement unless you have or are going to buy a sub. (Of course, as indicated, I would not buy the Sabrina without a sub either, but I think you get the idea)

Cjmv50 05-06-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1059977)
All 3 are wonderful. Having said that...The Sabrinas need a subwoofer. The TuneTots REALLY need a subwoofer. My dealer guided me to the TuneTots based on room size and WAF, but I would not describe them as a direct replacement unless you have or are going to buy a sub. (Of course, as indicated, I would not buy the Sabrina without a sub either, but I think you get the idea)

I have a sub in my current system. My room is a living room dinning room space that is only 11 feet wide but 28 feet long. My current speakers are Martin Logans and they 15 feet from the wall behind the speakers. I have always seen Wilson speakers setup closer to the wall behind the speakers than I can do in my room. After looking at the manual and setup video I am not sure if the Sabrinas would work in my space.

metaphacts 05-06-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjmv50 (Post 1060001)
I have a sub in my current system. My room is a living room dinning room space that is only 11 feet wide but 28 feet long. My current speakers are Martin Logans and they 15 feet from the wall behind the speakers. I have always seen Wilson speakers setup closer to the wall behind the speakers than I can do in my room. After looking at the manual and setup video I am not sure if the Sabrinas would work in my space.

WASP simply works around what the room is doing acoustically. You can always work outside of zones of neutrality but it just gets a bit tougher. WASP works with what the room gives you. The goal is to have the speaker interface with the room evenly across the band.

Sabrina and SabrinaX are actually pretty easy, though precise, to set up. I'd have your dealer take a look if there is concern.

Bill

PeterMusic 05-06-2022 10:29 AM

Cj--My dealer loaned me Sabrinas for a week, maybe yours would do the same? They won't be perfect without professional placement, but I would guess they'll be good enough for you to know if you want them

Cjmv50 05-06-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1060003)
WASP simply works around what the room is doing acoustically. You can always work outside of zones of neutrality but it just gets a bit tougher. WASP works with what the room gives you. The goal is to have the speaker interface with the room evenly across the band.

Sabrina and SabrinaX are actually pretty easy, though precise, to set up. I'd have your dealer take a look if there is concern.

Bill

I think I will take some photos and a room drawing to the dealer to get their advice.

Thank you

Hanson 05-07-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1060003)

Bill

Per an earlier posting I went ahead and ordered a pair of SabrinaX speakers today. Galaxy Grey with black grills. I'm advised not to also order the AD feet. Chris Forman will set them up (once they are made). I struggled with my decision as I could buy the Sasha but don't want to buy a model likely to be replaced in the near forseeable future(that is subjective and my view, and in the absence of facts that might inform otherwise). I didn't feel comfortable to take a gamble, similarly, on Alexia. So, lacking perfect information and the ability to try each model at my home, i went ahead and choose the least worse choice (the surest bet).

Cjmv50 05-07-2022 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanson (Post 1060113)
Per an earlier posting I went ahead and ordered a pair of SabrinaX speakers today. Galaxy Grey with black grills. I'm advised not to also order the AD feet. Chris Forman will set them up (once they are made). I struggled with my decision as I could buy the Sasha but don't want to buy a model likely to be replaced in the near forseeable future(that is subjective and my view, and in the absence of facts that might inform otherwise). I didn't feel comfortable to take a gamble, similarly, on Alexia. So, lacking perfect information and the ability to try each model at my home, i went ahead and choose the least worse choice (the surest bet).

I spoke with the dealer in my area today and I think I will bite the bullet and order a pair of SabrinaXs. If Wilson keeps with their current product lifecycle the SabrinaX has about 3 years until next revision. I would guest the next product to be updated would be the Yvette or the Alexia.

Just curious don’t AD feet automatically come with the speaker? Why would you not use them? What will you use in their place?

Hanson 05-08-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjmv50 (Post 1060120)
I spoke with the dealer in my area today and I think I will bite the bullet and order a pair of SabrinaXs. If Wilson keeps with their current product lifecycle the SabrinaX has about 3 years until next revision. I would guest the next product to be updated would be the Yvette or the Alexia.

Just curious don’t AD feet automatically come with the speaker? Why would you not use them? What will you use in their place?

Hi Cjmv50,
Acoustic Diodes were launched in June 2021 and initially only for the Alexx V. The SabrinaX comes with a spike/footer but it is inferior to AD. The AD upgrade kit is approximately $3000 to replace the existing spike/footers.

PeterMusic 05-08-2022 12:49 PM

I would buy the AD, or a competitor such as the Isoacoustics Gaia, in a heartbeat for the Sabrina X. You might check my Gaia thread in the Isolation section--the effect these things have is amazing.

Cjmv50 05-08-2022 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1060146)
I would buy the AD, or a competitor such as the Isoacoustics Gaia, in a heartbeat for the Sabrina X. You might check my Gaia thread in the Isolation section--the effect these things have is amazing.

I was thinking about using Gaias anyway. I have been using them for a couple of years on my Martin Logans, I love what the do for the sound.

Hanson 05-08-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1060146)

PeterMusic -
Appreciate your comments. I plan to wait for more information about AD benefits for SabrinaX. I would like to hear directly from Wilson staff what they think about it. Thank you-

Cjmv50 05-08-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanson (Post 1060131)
Hi Cjmv50,
Acoustic Diodes were launched in June 2021 and initially only for the Alexx V. The SabrinaX comes with a spike/footer but it is inferior to AD. The AD upgrade kit is approximately $3000 to replace the existing spike/footers.

Thank you for the info about the spikes. I took a closer look and saw the differences. I am curious as to the effectiveness of the Gaia on such a rigid cabinet.

waltstradlater 05-10-2022 04:20 PM

Having already ordered the Sabrina Xs myself, I have been in a giant rabbit hole of electronics research. There is a great poll on the Wilson facebook group page about this very issue, and, like the answer to the poll predicted, the overwhelming favorite i have had w the Sabrinas (also heard with the DAWs) is the D’Agostino Progression Integrated.

Goddamn what sound. Perfect? As close as I’ve heard.

Otherwise, the tribes seem well established and all making the right points:

1) Boulder 866 for some air and resolution
2) McIntosh for laid back incredibly listenable presence
3) Grab back of more obscure (Gryphon, etc.)
4) Hegel for value

Guessing I’ll go Mc just bc it’s easy and works

Hanson 05-10-2022 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltstradlater (Post 1060247)
Having already ordered the Sabrina Xs myself, I have been in a giant rabbit hole of electronics research. There is a great poll on the Wilson facebook group page about this very issue, and, like the answer to the poll predicted, the overwhelming favorite i have had w the Sabrinas (also heard with the DAWs) is the D’Agostino Progression Integrated.

4) Hegel for value

Hi - you state that the Dag Prog integrated is great, but then you conclude by saying you'll go with the McIntosh. Why? Is there a significant price differential? What is your budget? I own the Boulder and will be using it to drive my SbX when they arrive.

Cjmv50 05-10-2022 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltstradlater (Post 1060247)

4) Hegel for value

The Boulder is a great amp. It would be high on my list if I didn’t own McIntosh gear already. I heard the Choronsonic XVX with Gryphon electronics I thought that was that combination was fantastic. I only heard a Hegel once and not on Wilson speakers. I thought it was ok.

PeterMusic 05-11-2022 09:20 AM

Isn't the D'Agostino a step or two up the food chain from a McIntosh with similar power? I have not heard it, but based on a combination of reputation and price, I would expect (hope?) it to be superior. Of course, you may be far from a dealer...

My Mc combo sounds great with Wilsons, I prefer it to Boulder. You have not distinguished between tube and SS--another issue worth exploring. Good luck!

Hanson 05-11-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjmv50 (Post 1060262)
The Boulder is a great amp. It would be high on my list if I didn’t own McIntosh gear already. I heard the Choronsonic XVX with Gryphon electronics I thought that was that combination was fantastic. I only heard a Hegel once and not on Wilson speakers. I thought it was ok.

If you're content with your existing Mc gear - great! My non-statistical survey of the Wilson owners seems to indicate quite a few Mc owners. If what you own is not sufficient to drive the SbXs, you can always look at other Mc alternatives --- they should have you well-covered.