AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Seeking advice building stereo system with Sabrina X (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50562)

Charles 12-14-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1050943)
To his defense, he never advised against MC275 for my rooms-in this thread. I only quoted him from a separate thread - in which the person may have a larger room than mine.

To repeat, here are my room sizes:
1. W 11' x L 13.5' x H 10'.
2. W 12' x L 16' x H 12'.

Charles did say MA9000 would do fine-in my thread, so MA12000 would have been better, one would think.

Go with the MA12000. I guarantee you that once you get it on your rack and fire it up you will forget the cost. Together with the Sabrina X it will form the nucleus of a great system for many years. You will be pleased this time next year that you went with this excellent combo. :yes:

Best

Charles

Blackfield 12-14-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1050973)
Go with the MA12000. I guarantee you that once you get it on your rack and fire it up you will forget the cost. Together with the Sabrina X it will form the nucleus of a great system for many years. You will be pleased this time next year that you went with this excellent combo. :yes:

Best

Charles

I considered so many options but narrowed down to McIntosh for their reputation, sound, my budget and their build quality. Luxman came second.

I ordered a used MA12000 earlier, should receive it sometime next week, :D.

Thank you Charles and everyone else for your inputs!

Now, onto the digital source, I need a music server, budget $3k.
I am guessing a unit with linear power supply, fanless, strip down OS (vs Mac Mini or Windows) are preferred for better SQ.
Still unclear what provides better SQ, NAS vs. internal SSD vs. else.

Unsurprisingly, there are so many options out there:
1. Bluenode
2. new/used Aurender
3. Innuos zen mini mk3 - problem with roon?
4. Lumin U2 mini
5. else?

Formerly YB-2 12-14-2021 10:59 PM

Am guessing you will be very pleased with your MA12000 choice.

Why not fanless on the NUC?

Blackfield 12-15-2021 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1050988)
Am guessing you will be very pleased with your MA12000 choice.

Why not fanless on the NUC?

BTW, congrats on your Pass Labs integrated, which model did you order?

About fanless, I think I may look at this the wrong way.
I have home PC that has my audio files, runs 24x7, connect to my home network and run at my office. Then if I want to go Roon route, I can install Roon core on this PC.

My listening room will be on other room so I think I just need a good streamer that can be connected via ethernet. This way the streamer does not have a spinning hard drive.

I plan to use DAC that is o MA12000 so I just need a streamer without DAC.
I would think this setup is better than having the audio on the streamer itself?
Am I on the right path here?

Charles 12-15-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1050990)

About fanless, I think I may look at this the wrong way.
I have home PC that has my audio files, runs 24x7, connect to my home network and run at my office. Then if I want to go Roon route, I can install Roon core on this PC.

My listening room will be on other room so I think I just need a good streamer that can be connected via ethernet. This way the streamer does not have a spinning hard drive.

I plan to use DAC that is o MA12000 so I just need a streamer without DAC.
I would think this setup is better than having the audio on the streamer itself?
Am I on the right path here?

Well absolute congrats on the best choice! I absolutely would use the DA2 Module in the MA12000. Frankly, I think what you have including Sabrina X competitive with anything on the market in sonics and looks. If you had a larger room(s), this might not be true, but you don't. You won't have a bright, forward or flashy presentation. You will have a balanced one that you won't grow tired of. You will enjoy it more this time next year than when you first get it fired up. That's the beauty of Mac and Wilson. Again congrats! :thumbsup:

Best

Charles

Formerly YB-2 12-15-2021 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfield (Post 1050990)

Thank you. Went with the INT-25. Reviews are uniform on how "big" it wounds so am hoping it and my Canton 9Ks 'play well together'. But am thinking ahead and do wonder how the Sabrina X might work with the INT-25. :scratch2:

Reason I ask about the NUC is mine is fanless. Not sure they were offered with a fan when I purchased a couple of years ago. I'm leaning towards the Node 2i streamer. There are so many 'do it all' pieces out there and they change so often it gives me pause.......

dkorbal 12-15-2021 09:49 AM

Blackfield. You may be interested in this post by Stephen.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...97&postcount=7

I started with Bluesound and migrated over to using Roon core and the DA2 usb in my c2700 with an optical bridge much like described in the post. Much lower noise floor and better detail because of it. You may want to consider.

PeterMusic 12-15-2021 05:43 PM

I have a Bluesound Node that is good for a modest second system. The sound quality is not sufficient for the system in my signature, even running it through the Yggy. So I think you need to go a step up. Aurender sound quality is much better. I have not heard the others.

I use a Naim Uniti Core--ripped CDs only, no streaming--it has the other features you mention and is in the price range. Sound quality is better than streaming, but not as convenient.

Blackfield 12-16-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051009)
Blackfield. You may be interested in this post by Stephen.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...97&postcount=7

I started with Bluesound and migrated over to using Roon core and the DA2 usb in my c2700 with an optical bridge much like described in the post. Much lower noise floor and better detail because of it. You may want to consider.

Thank you! Awesome diagram and just in time for my need.

I think I will go the above route, albeit a more modest one.

1. I have a powerful PC at home (on another room) that runs 24x7, I can install Roon Core here. The PC is connected to ethernet. Since this is on another room, PC fan noise is not a concern.

2. On the listening room, there is an ethernet jack. I can get OpticalRendu + power supply+FMC bundle and run ethernet cable to this. Then, get a good USB cable to connect it to MA12000.

Not sure if there is significant sonic difference/signal noise between a dedicated PC like sonicTransporter vs. powerful PC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1051039)
I have a Bluesound Node that is good for a modest second system. The sound quality is not sufficient for the system in my signature, even running it through the Yggy. So I think you need to go a step up. Aurender sound quality is much better. I have not heard the others.

I use a Naim Uniti Core--ripped CDs only, no streaming--it has the other features you mention and is in the price range. Sound quality is better than streaming, but not as convenient.

:thumbsup:

all2ears 12-18-2021 03:36 PM

Welcome to the site ... one of the keys to a great set up is balanced components - Great speakers with a lesser quality amp is only gong to let you hear what great speakers sound like with a lesser quality amp - No fun there

At the level of components you are considering might be a good ides to factor cable costs into your budget - Quality equipment need quality cabling

Everyone has a preference and mine is WireWorld Silver Electra (I got mine from MasterLu) - You may want to think about replacing the standard issue power cords and interconnects - Quality cables aren't cheap but the plus side is they don't need a lot of updating for audio

If you do go the Mc452 route a dedicated 20 amp line is a McIntosh recommendation - Another component is a quality power conditioner .... dirty electricity is your enemy - It will make a measurable difference ... I mean you can actually have it measured

Anyway congratulations and enjoy the journey