AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Research power cables suggestions for my system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48806)

HiFiHippie 10-09-2020 11:30 AM

Shunyata Research power cables suggestions for my system

Hi there, I have been a long time follower of this forum, and have learned a lot over the years. I recently had the upgrade bug and did a fairly big change in my dedicated listening room.

My new system consists of the following: McIntosh MX170 theater processor, C53 preamp, MDT500 sacd player, MC462 2 channel amp, MC611 mono amp for center, and MC257 for surrounds and dolby Atmos heights. I also have a Oppo 205, a Panasonic UB9000 for 4k uhd's and a Roon Nucleus plus for Qobuz and Tidal streaming. My main speakers are Legacy Audio Aeris. I also have a PS Audio P20 power plant that I run most of system through.
Over the years I have purchased an assortment of audio cables from various companies like Kimber Kable, Shunyata Research, and Audioquest. I live in a fairly small town that does not have any higher end audio shops. So I use the internet to help guide me through my choices.

So my question to you guys is what are your thoughts on the Shunyata Research power cables. I have a couple of Venon HC v1's. I am on a budget for my cables so my range for now would be up to the delta series, I assume the NR V2 series would work for Mcintosh MX170 and C53 my Oppo 205 and the CX V2 for the McIntosh amplifiers. Is there a big difference between the Venom and Delta series? i would also need a 20 amp version for my P20.

Lastly, I became a Platinum subscriber to help support the forum. Any thoughts on the power cables would be greatly appreciated. Happy Listening

Masterlu 10-09-2020 11:51 AM

HiFiHippie... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thank you for your Support out of the chute! :ok:

jimtranr 10-09-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiHippie (Post 1016906)
I am on a budget for my cables so my range for now would be up to the delta series, I assume the NR V2 series would work for Mcintosh MX170 and C53 my Oppo 205 and the CX V2 for the McIntosh amplifiers. Is there a big difference between the Venom and Delta series? i would also need a 20 amp version for my P20.

In my experience, the short answer to the bolded question is "yes". Upgrading the power feed to my TEAC DAC from the Venom NR v10 to the Delta NR v1 effected a noticeable improvement in transient speed, resolution, and dynamic scaling. Upgrading the feed to my ARC LS16 line stage from a Venom NR v10 to the Delta NR v2 effected even greater perceived improvements in each of those areas and the sense of being "in the performance space". (Which is why I have a Delta NR v2 ordered for my DAC.)

If your budget permits, I consider the Delta series well worth it.

Puma Cat 10-09-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1016933)
In my experience, the short answer to the bolded question is "yes". Upgrading the power feed to my TEAC DAC from the Venom NR v10 to the Delta NR v1 effected a noticeable improvement in transient speed, resolution, and dynamic scaling. Upgrading the feed to my ARC LS16 line stage from a Venom NR v10 to the Delta NR v2 effected even greater perceived improvements in each of those areas and the sense of being "in the performance space". (Which is why I have a Delta NR v2 ordered for my DAC.)

If your budget permits, I consider the Delta series well worth it.

What Jim said.

Very accurate. If you are using a power distributor, you can also save some expenditure by getting a Delta XC to power your power distributor.

For future planning, you'll also get a big step on performance by getting the Denali V2 power distributor. The QR/BB device in the Denali is a game-changer. It will fundamentally change the nature of the presentation to be both more accurate and "musical" (i.e., sounding more like actual musical instruments rather than instruments reproduced by electronics).

Also...consider putting in a CopperCONN outlet in your wall receptacle

thyname 10-12-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiHippie (Post 1016906)

So my question to you guys is what are your thoughts on the Shunyata Research power cables. I have a couple of Venon HC v1's. I am on a budget for my cables so my range for now would be up to the delta series, I assume the NR V2 series would work for Mcintosh MX170 and C53 my Oppo 205 and the CX V2 for the McIntosh amplifiers. Is there a big difference between the Venom and Delta series? i would also need a 20 amp version for my P20.

Delta XC v2 for your P20. Venom NR v10 for your amps, and v12 for everything else. If budget allows, replace the Venom on above with Delta NR v2

HiFiHippie 10-12-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1017369)
Delta XC v2 for your P20. Venom NR v10 for your amps, and v12 for everything else. If budget allows, replace the Venom on above with Delta NR v2

Thyname, thanks for the reply to my post. I went ahead and ordered a pair Delta XC for the Mcintosh amps from Ivan today. I plan on ordering the Venom NR v10 or V12, or the Delta NR cables for the Mx170, C53, Oppo 205 and UB900. For the MCT 500 safe transport using a Venom V14 digital or a NR v10 or V12. Was the CX the right choice for the McIntosh amplifiers?

thyname 10-12-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiHippie (Post 1017410)
Thyname, thanks for the reply to my post. I went ahead and ordered a pair Delta XC for the Mcintosh amps from Ivan today. I plan on ordering the Venom NR v10 or V12, or the Delta NR cables for the Mx170, C53, Oppo 205 and UB900. For the MCT 500 safe transport using a Venom V14 digital or a NR v10 or V12. Was the CX the right choice for the McIntosh amplifiers?

I think your amps would benefit from the noise reduction on NR series. Without sacrificing much elsewhere

Puma Cat 10-12-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1017458)
I think your amps would benefit from the noise reduction on NR series. Without sacrificing much elsewhere

Agreed. XC power cables are designed for power distributors that provide built-in NR, or for components, e.g. my First Sound preamp, which have NR built into their (external) power supplies.

If I were running standalone amps plugged into the wall or plugged into a power distributor, I'd be using NR power cords for them.

Tannoyd 10-13-2020 06:16 PM

I'd buy his new Everest power distributor first. Shunyata.

HiFiHippie 10-13-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1017461)
Agreed. XC power cables are designed for power distributors that provide built-in NR, or for components, e.g. my First Sound preamp, which have NR built into their (external) power supplies.

If I were running standalone amps plugged into the wall or plugged into a power distributor, I'd be using NR power cords for them.

Puma Cat, thanks for the clarification on the XC and NR for the power amplifiers. I contacted Ivan today and changed the order to the Delta Nr’s. I am still trying to decide on the Venom 10-12 NR or the Delta NR for the McIntosh MX170 processor and The C53 preamplifier, Would there be a big difference form the Venom to Delta’s? Thanks in advance for you input.