AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Klipsch Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Klipschorn....How do YOU protect your tops? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17442)

JWJW 11-24-2012 11:10 AM

Klipschorn....How do YOU protect your tops?

I just purchased a pair of 2012 black-finish K-Horns. I'm looking for suggestions on how to protect the tops. We have 2 kitty's that LOVE to jump on top of anything flat. Right now, I have large beach towels thrown over them....you can image, the wife is not too happy with this solution. :tears:

Any cool "glass" or "stone" solutions? Options I've considered:
  • 1/4" thick colored glass
  • 1/4" thick black granite
  • Having a custom table-pad made
  • Covers made for them by Radio Dust Covers (Quoted me $550 for the pair....eeeeeeeek!)

Any other suggestions? Feel free to post pics of what you are doing/using. Your input please! :yes:

Coytee 11-24-2012 01:00 PM

I'd go with the glass option and put some felt 'stickies' on it to interface between the glass and the top of the speaker.

o0OBillO0o 11-24-2012 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coytee (Post 399996)
I'd go with the glass option and put some felt 'stickies' on it to interface between the glass and the top of the speaker.

No issues here. Cat loves 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

JWJW 11-24-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 400087)
No issues here. Cat loves 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Nice......meow.

Coytee 11-25-2012 01:35 PM

My cats decided they wanted to use the grills on my EV's as a scratching post. Once they shredded one of them, they decided to try their skills on the VMR (Vented Midrange).

I now have the EV's in a closet awaiting repair and have them facing each other so the cats can't get between them to flex their claws.

JWJW 11-25-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coytee (Post 400509)
My cats decided they wanted to use the grills on my EV's as a scratching post. Once they shredded one of them, they decided to try their skills on the VMR (Vented Midrange).

I now have the EV's in a closet awaiting repair and have them facing each other so the cats can't get between them to flex their claws.

Ouch!!!

BlueSky 02-23-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coytee (Post 400509)

You, sir, have the patience of Job.....

o0OBillO0o 02-23-2013 06:58 PM

I would pop off the top and place on piece of cardboard and trace the top. Then put a non resonant material and cut to size.

GaryProtein 02-23-2013 10:33 PM

Electrify the protective covers you have made, The cats will only jump up there a couple times before they decide not to get fried again.

wylymon 03-20-2013 02:03 PM

protecting the top hat of the KHorn

I agree with using a glass top. I did that with my new Khorns in 1982....and there is not even one blemish to the top hats. I suggest you have the edges slightly rounded and the glass slightly oversized. I hate to tell you this but when women see the Khorn.....they see a giant plant stand. When cats see the Khorn.....they see the best scratching post in the world and will tear your expensive speaker fabric to shreads. Are your cats declawed? You may want to try a plastic snake on top .....will keep the cat and wife away :D

James