AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aurender (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Aurender W20SE (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46412)

joeling 08-11-2019 05:50 AM

Aurender W20SE

Any insights on this new model ? How much is ti better than the W20 ? Is this still the flagship ? What is better than W20 ?

Thanks

j3brow 08-11-2019 11:05 AM

Flagship, yes. The differences are many. Comparison chart is on their website. Im considering one.

dixon007 08-11-2019 11:27 AM

I’m a happy owner of a W20. Very nice. Can only image how much better the SE model would be, and with a clock, a DAC with dual mono outputs, and some great cables to fully take advantage of what it has to offer - it should have the “Wow” factor.

joeling 08-12-2019 04:23 AM

Thanks. I just noticed that internal storage is only 4TB. Does that mean users are expected to pull music from a NAS ?

j3brow 08-12-2019 09:50 PM

Aurender W20SE

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeling (Post 975882)
Thanks. I just noticed that internal storage is only 4TB. Does that mean users are expected to pull music from a NAS ?

Aurender would like to think users would pull from the ACS10 with its up to 24TB capacity. The W20SE 4TB storage is now a SSD and the cache is 1 TB SSD. The W20 is being replaced by the W20SE, confirmed by Aurender distributor.

SuperD 08-13-2019 11:24 AM

I'll look at this when more information comes out, but there is also the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme. I have read peoples preference for the latter over the oringinal W20. I know nothing about disc storage but remember reading the SS drive will improve its sound.

Dave

GW1800 10-08-2019 02:18 PM

Well pulled the trigger on a W20SE.

It will be 2-3 weeks by the time I get it, break it in at least some and transfer my files etc. Looking forward to what it will do. If you look at the comparison list on the web site there is quite a bit of a difference between the two. You would think between all the improvements and a good bit up on the price point it would of deserved to be a new model like a W30 possibly. They mention about the clock being updated I assume more accurate but there is little info on what was actually done in this area. I'm sure they have done a outstanding job on this update to squeeze out every last bit literally. Aurender is just the definition of quality and thoughtful intent in my opinion.

Really like the Aurender angle Vs Roon still have a dedicated PC that I used for a bit but just did not do it for me. More on this later.

dixon007 10-08-2019 03:35 PM

Congratulations. Enjoy. We will be looking forward to your impressions.

j3brow 10-08-2019 06:22 PM

Congrats Mike! I’m sure you will love it. I would like to own one .... one day.

GW1800 11-14-2019 05:04 PM

I've been listening to the W20SE for a bit now and it sounds glorious! The best way I can put it is when I had a N10 and moved up to the W20 that gain is there again moving from a W20 to a W20SE - its that big of a change. I had both units here for a bit so an A/B could be done reasonably quickly.

The extreme play mode sure makes a difference also. I do like to watch the screen so its a difficult choice at times. However this one selection sure is noticeable to my ears.

Would not of expected as much of a difference just by looking at the specs. Aurender surely shows there are differences on their web site but I think changes run even deeper then listed or acknowledged. They must of dug pretty deep since we are certainly aware of just how great the W20 was and is.

The only knock I would have is the new model should of had the A30 OLED screen. Other then that Aurender has done it again - another hi quality product in fit, function and sound quality!!

btn2803 11-14-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 985612)
I've been listening to the W20SE for a bit now and it sounds glorious! The best way I can put it is when I had a N10 and moved up to the W20 that gain is there again moving from a W20 to a W20SE - its that big of a change. I had both units here for a bit so an A/B could be done reasonably quickly.

The extreme play mode sure makes a difference also. I do like to watch the screen so its a difficult choice at times. However this one selection sure is noticeable to my ears.

Would not of expected as much of a difference just by looking at the specs. Aurender surely shows there are differences on their web site but I think changes run even deeper then listed or acknowledged. They must of dug pretty deep since we are certainly aware of just how great the W20 was and is.

The only knock I would have is the new model should of had the A30 OLED screen. Other then that Aurender has done it again - another hi quality product in fit, function and sound quality!!

Thanks for the report.
I have scheduled an audition of the N10 in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should add the W20SE :D

joeling 11-25-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

This is good info. Thanks. In my system, the Vivaldi transport trounces the W20. Maybe W20SE will do the trick. Price is double of the W20 from 5 years ago. Time to save up.

DMelby 12-14-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your update - I've been listening now to my w20se just for a few hours and am completely agree with your experience. I'm just blown away by how wonderful the w20se sounds. The background silence is several steps lower than the w20 - and from this wonderful black background emerges details, and rhythm, and music. Any aspect one can name (soundstage, details, instrument timbre, timing, etc) is a very noticeable advancement.
I also had an N10, then w20, and now the w20se. Each step has been a major leap in my experience. Each in their own right is amazing, and given one's budget you can expect outstanding performance at each price point. So one can't go wrong. The w20se compared to w20 though is a major advancement - Aurender has done it again! Congratulations to the team at Aurender for their amazing accomplishment - well done!

Update: After a few days of break in, I'd like to up my previous comments to absolutely stunning! The W20se is truly in a league of its own. Wow wow -- highly recommended...

GW1800 01-29-2020 12:43 PM

Just an update on the W20SE.

I had an issue with a popping sound with DSD to PCM between tracks and just want to complement Aurender's continued support to get this fixed. It took a bit but they got the job done. Could of very easily threw their hands up at some point yet they did not. I know of few companies that work so hard to support their customers as Aurender does. I know issues are bothersome but they do care and will eventually get a fix if you have some patience and work with them beyond complaining and nasty comments.

You got to realize that its essentially a computer with many DAC's that it interacts with of various internal workings and designs. I can't but feel for them the immense complexity to make it all work. Its a testament to a great company and their people that they just get the job done. Well done Aurender!!

DMelby 01-29-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 993908)

I had an issue with a popping sound with DSD to PCM between tracks and just want to complement Aurender's continued support to get this fixed. It took a bit but they got the job done. Could of very easily threw their hands up at some point yet they did not. I know of few companies that work so hard to support their customers as Aurender does. I know issues are bothersome but they do care and will eventually get a fix if you have some patience and work with them beyond complaining and nasty comments.

You got to realize that its essentially a computer with many DAC's that it interacts with of various internal workings and designs. I can't but feel for them the immense complexity to make it all work. Its a testament to a great company and their people that they just get the job done. Well done Aurender!!

Totally agree, Aurender is great with support :thumbsup:

dixon007 02-28-2020 09:09 AM

Enjoying these posts on the new Aurender W20SE. Anything more to add? Does anyone incorporate in their system a master-clock component? If so, is it being used for the DAC and the Aurender?

DMelby 02-28-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixon007 (Post 996683)
Enjoying these posts on the new Aurender W20SE. Anything more to add? Does anyone incorporate in their system a master-clock component? If so, is it being used for the DAC and the Aurender?

I haven't tried or considered a master clock so far. The W20SE is absolutely amazing all on its own :)

dixon007 02-29-2020 08:20 AM

Strong endorsement. Hmmmm . . .
[emoji848]

George Prentice 11-20-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

I've been listening to the W20SE for a bit now and it sounds glorious! The best way I can put it is when I had a N10 and moved up to the W20 that gain is there again moving from a W20 to a W20SE - its that big of a change. I had both units here for a bit so an A/B could be done reasonably quickly.!

I appreciate these and other comments. I was thinking about upgrading from my Auralic G2 but was unsure of what kind of improvements to expect. I was thinking the dominant character would come from the DAC and not the streamer. So I wasn’t sure if the upgrade would be worth it. I was considering the N10. If I error when I upgrade it is trying to save a few bucks. It always fails. So when I read that there were significant improvements between the N10 and W20 and W20SE, that clearly indicated any intermediate steps would be a waste of time and money. Within a few minutes listening to my new W20SE absolutely confirmed this. No question this was the right decision. Thanks. Really helpful listening to folks that have heard each. I enjoy listening to my system not fiddling, testing, and breaking in gear. On the other hand I am retired and don’t want to be throwing money at stuff, “just in case”.

Anyone tried master clocks? Which and what’it do?

gds7368 11-21-2020 08:47 PM

I have a master clock built in to my Select2 DAC so I’ll try it with and without the W20SE being slaved to the clock. Making a few system changes at the moment so that report will have to wait few weeks.

gaboudreaux 01-12-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 993908)

I'm getting the same "pop" between tracks now with the N10. Do you remember what Aurender did to fix this problem?

George Prentice 01-16-2021 08:51 PM

Any hesitancy completely disappeared the moment I put the W20SE into my system. It was easy to argue it was just throwing bits down a wire and the sound crafting happens in the DAC... but that sure is nonsense. The sound quality change in moving from the Aurlic Aries was enormous... well worth every penny... I am so happy I didn't choose "trying" the N10 first. My digital side now bested my analog side. So, of course I had to order a new turntable and cartridge.

gds7368 01-17-2021 09:42 AM

George - what turntable and cartridge did you order?

George Prentice 01-17-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gds7368 (Post 1029535)
George - what turntable and cartridge did you order?

Linn LP12 Akurate with Koetsu Rosewood Signature Cartridge.

I have been moving to make my system look better and sound better.

George Prentice 03-10-2021 02:46 AM

Well I now have my Linn LP 12. It is breaking in. This is going to be interesting comparison said to which end is “better”. It is definitely not immediately obvious. That says so much about the WE20se!

With a couple weeks on the table, I find I am not inclined to “critically listen” for differences and just get sucked into listening to the music whenever I sit to listen to either. I am sure there are some differences although not big, but they are clearly equally musical... which is the perfect ending. Then I can choose the recording I want to hear not be drawn to the “better sounding” end.