AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Absolute Sound Review of 801 D4 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50768)

Levitator 01-17-2022 10:20 PM

Thanks for sharing - sounds like a winner and may attract some new fans for those that have been previously put off by the somewhat bitey treble

Charles 01-18-2022 11:00 AM

4music, That's an excellent review and much more in line with what I would expect. This is a large speaker. The reviewer should have had a larger room. One thing I have noticed is the deficiency of the reviewers' reference gear in general. This review did not do justice to the sonics of the speaker, IMO. However, the photography was excellent. The description of the speaker was also excellent. Changing amps ought not to alter the frequency response, especially a Pass Labs amp. Next, using a Magico sub to obtain adequate bass was not a good choice. In the old days, when the Thiel CS5 was reviewed for example, when the initial reviewer couldn't get the best out of it, it was handed off to another reviewer. This would have been the best option, IMO.

Best

Charles

4music 01-18-2022 04:18 PM

I still restrain from posting pictures online. But I might change my mind soon :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 1053496)
Awesome man

Any pics?

FreddieFerric 01-19-2022 08:54 AM

Very interesting group of comments. I have not heard this speaker and have not read the review. However, I agree with the sentiment that a square room is not good for sound - size notwithstanding.

For TAS to select a reviewer whose reference amp is an XA60 also shows a bit of poor judgment. I have no doubt the new 801D4 is an outstanding reference speaker. They'll be other reviews on it that will better expound on its virtues and limitations.

FreddieFerric 01-19-2022 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4music (Post 1053537)
I still restrain from posting pictures online. But I might change my mind soon :)

I promise you won't be doxxed, robbed, burgled or othewise relieved of your kit. :thumbsup:

At least not be us...:D

dkorbal 01-20-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1053568)
I promise you won't be doxxed, robbed, burgled or othewise relieved of your kit. :thumbsup:

At least not be us...:D

But you may be enamoured, praised, complimented or otherwise by us. :D :yes:

Boomerang 01-24-2022 06:11 PM

Bi amped the 801D4 now, using Michi M8 for bass, McIntosh MC312 for mid/high.
Huge improvement compared to single Michi, because McIntosh sounds more three dimensional and open in mid/high.
Used a low pass active crossover as well, then bridged passive low pass in 801D4.
(Coils series resistance of 0.4 ohm also lost this way, as a bonus)
Very happy with the result.
Michi M8 monos hard to beat regarding bass control, speed, energy btw.
Great combo.
801D4 is a gorgeous speaker indeed and coming from D3, it is hard to understand how B&W manages it, improving sound quality with every update again.

Birdy1062 02-03-2022 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerang (Post 1053915)
Bi amped the 801D4 now, using Michi M8 for bass, McIntosh MC312 for mid/high.
Huge improvement compared to single Michi, because McIntosh sounds more three dimensional and open in mid/high.
Used a low pass active crossover as well, then bridged passive low pass in 801D4.
(Coils series resistance of 0.4 ohm also lost this way, as a bonus)
Very happy with the result.
Michi M8 monos hard to beat regarding bass control, speed, energy btw.
Great combo.
801D4 is a gorgeous speaker indeed and coming from D3, it is hard to understand how B&W manages it, improving sound quality with every update again.

Had a demo a year ago of Michi P5/S5 with 801 D3, quite impressive I must say

ARQuint 02-08-2022 08:12 AM

In defense of my room

This response is a few weeks late but I just saw the post(s) and did want the chance to engage with the forum on some points regarding rooms and speakers—especially when the conversation can happen in reasoned and civil tones, as is usually the case here.

A couple of comments were made about the size of my listening room, in terms of the space being large enough for 801s. Certainly, the latest version of the Bowers & Wilkins flagship will work well in a much large space than mine. But many audiophiles with a more typical domestic listening environment will want to know if the speaker's a consideration. I've formally reviewed about 30 loudspeakers in this room (and have tried out a few others) and I have a pretty good idea of what will work at this point; so does Robert Harley, who assigns 90% of the products I review. Manufacturers generally do their "due diligence" to assure that they aren't setting a product up for a negative assessment by arranging for it to be heard in an inappropriate setting. So, I can assure you that there's been an informed decision made about bringing a given big loudspeaker to my room.

Nominally, my listening room is 15' x 15', which doesn't sound promising for a larger speaker—but all 15' x 15' rooms aren't created equal. Here's my view of why mine worked out well with the 801 D4s.

• The ceiling is high, and it varies in height, from 10' to 11'6".

• There's a 9' long hallway leading off from one side, even with the right front loudspeaker, as well as other asymmetries/irregularities to the room dimensions. I've positioned GIK diffusers in the middle of the front wall. I usually measure the in-room frequency for each visiting loudspeaker with a Dayton OmniMic system and there haven't been disqualifying room problems—significant modes, etc. I use that information to most effectively dial in a subwoofer, if one's to be used.

• I enjoy relatively near-field listening. I played in orchestras (and rock bands) when I was young, and this audio perspective gives me some of that participatory sense.

Obviously, there's a limit in terms of how large a speaker can go into my room, and I've turned down projects based on my understand of those limits. Clearly, Wilson XVX's or Von Schweikert Ultra 9s don't belong here. But, especially given the specifics of my 15' x 15' room and my listening practices, I feel that the new B&Ws were not mismatched to my space, and that other interested audiophiles with a similar situation should be dissuaded from investigating further. After all, I'd say my review was a positive one.

Thanks for hearing me out. And if anyone's ever in Philly and wants to hear the room (with my usual speakers, Magico M1s) drop me a note and we'll find a time!

Andrew Quint
Senior writer
The Absolute Sound

Masterlu 02-08-2022 07:38 PM

ARQuint… Welcome to AA! :wave: