AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   TT3 thoughts? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42544)

BillK 03-23-2018 05:26 PM

TT3 thoughts?

I've always liked the idea of linear trackers but you don't see too many reviews of the TT3 or even the TT2.

Any experiences here?

Weirdcuba 03-23-2018 08:45 PM

None here, but very interested. Lurk ...

kleinbje 03-26-2018 05:35 AM

lurking

Masterlu 03-26-2018 08:51 AM

I have a TT2 on another Innovation Wood Table.

https://www.maestrogarage.com/data/m...t/ca_tt2_7.jpg

mulveling 03-26-2018 11:29 AM

Gosh, that TT2 is one beautiful arm. And it's not just their linear trackers; it's a bit frustrating that all the Clearaudio arms lack exposure and coverage, despite seemingly dripping with top-notch engineering, immaculate build quality, and aesthetic beauty.

NZ421291 03-26-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 908154)
Gosh, that TT2 is one beautiful arm. And it's not just their linear trackers; it's a bit frustrating that all the Clearaudio arms lack exposure and coverage, despite seemingly dripping with top-notch engineering, immaculate build quality, and aesthetic beauty.

Isn't that due to the negative reviews published my Fremer in Stereophile?

I mean, Stereophile used to publish negative reviews, I have read that a negative review in Stereophile in the 80's of a Micro Seiki turntable DD Turntable basically sunk DD Turntables in the USA?

mulveling 03-26-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 908203)

I mean, Stereophile used to publish negative reviews, I have read that a negative review in Stereophile in the 80's of a Micro Seiki turntable DD Turntable basically sunk DD Turntables in the USA?

Ugh, I didn’t know that. Which CA arm or arms did he pan? The high-end review industry is nothing but needless drama and hot air.

80B 03-26-2018 09:51 PM

One of the turntable setup videos I watched a few weeks ago (might have been an article I read) had the commentator say that linear tonearms weren't truly tangential, and that they essentially have, for lack of better paraphrasing, back-and-forth-skating as they travel down the groove. Might have been Fremer, but some of these videos have kind of run into one another in my mind.

Not being an audio or mechanical engineer, I can't argue one way or another, but a linear TA would presumably have less skating force than a pivot tonearm. I certainly wouldn't let some nearly off-hand comment ditch an entire design scheme. Mike, you're absolutely right about the drama and hot air. Would be interesting to hear a shootout and let the sound determine the difference (not that one would necessarily be "better" than the other).

Hey Mike, wanna install a second, linear, tonearm on that Innovation Master? I'll bring over a six pack of your choice of brew!

vintage_tube 03-27-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 908203)

I'll paraphrase here and not wanting to put words in anyone's mouth -- he said back in 1997 regarding linear tracking arms vs pivotal was both have inherent problems which the other does not have; but, in his opinion, generally speaking, linear tracking arms (at that time anyway) have more complicated inherent problems to overcome than those plaguing a pivotal arm.

Twenty years later -- dunno.

Personally, having an "inexpensive" linear tracker a number of years back I was never satisfied nor comfortable with it. Gave it a shot though & moved on.

Best Sir,

Bob

PS: 1997, VOL 20, #11 (if you can find it on line).

TWInsall 11-17-2018 04:45 PM

Back in the days of analog when the groove tracing wars were going on, even as imperfect as Rabco, Revox and B&O linear arms were , it was easy to prove a linear arm out performed a conventional arm. Just play Shure Tracking test records. The distortion was less audible, you could track a lighter pressures to get the same results as with pivoting arms. Even when distortion was created the needle of a linear arm cartridge stayed in the groove rather than taking off for a hop skip and jump across valuable LPs. We weren't as refined back then with everyone listening for phase distortion and timing errors. Though that said, I was talking to Paul Klipsch back in the early 70's and he much preferred two track tapes over LP's because of timing between to channels kept changing, and tracing and tracking issues of phono cartridges were always an issue. I had to agree.