AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Degritter or Klaudio? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51257)

Fbgbill 06-11-2022 05:22 PM

Degritter or Klaudio?

I am looking at getting a new RCM. I have researched both the Degritter and the new Klaudio. I know there is a big price difference but I have been fortunate to have the means to buy either with the Boss's blessing (wife). Aside from the cost difference can anyone give me their thoughts on either unit. I see advantages for either the main one being that with the Degritter can use cleaning fluid but the Claudio only water.
I was also considering the Clearaudio Double Matrix but the wait time is probably a year on one of them.

Masterlu 06-11-2022 08:31 PM

Bill, you have a PM.

tima 06-12-2022 07:29 AM

As a machine, the Klaudio is very good. I believe you cannot get a record truly clean with ultrasonic water action alone. Cleaning records requires surfactant.

JoeN 06-12-2022 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We really enjoy our DeGritter. Records get exceptionally clean. It’s simplicity is awesome. The only negative thing I would mention is the noise. We keep ours in a back room to eliminate that …

As to cleaning fluid in the DeGritter I don’t use it. The records get clean enough without it …

cleeds 06-12-2022 08:23 AM

I have the Klaudio machine and the beauty of it is its one-button simplicity. I cleaned more records with it in its first year than I cleaned in the previous decade with my Nitty Gritty. All it requires is that you push one button. The machine does everything else but put it in a clean sleeve.

In my experience, the only records that require more aggressive treatment than US and water alone are used records that have been mistreated. I'm not inclined to acquire such records but should that happen, the LP can get the NG treatment before being put in the Klaudio.

Lord knows the Klaudio is a pricey purchase. But after considering the expenses I'd already absorbed to play records and the number of LPs I own, it seemed worth it.

Fbgbill 06-12-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1062086)
We really enjoy our DeGritter. Records get exceptionally clean. It’s simplicity is awesome. The only negative thing I would mention is the noise. We keep ours in a back room to eliminate that …

As to cleaning fluid in the DeGritter I don’t use it. The records get clean enough without it …

Thanks, mine would be in a closet and noise is not really an issue.

Fbgbill 06-12-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1062087)
I have the Klaudio machine and the beauty of it is its one-button simplicity. I cleaned more records with it in its first year than I cleaned in the previous decade with my Nitty Gritty. All it requires is that you push one button. The machine does everything else but put it in a clean sleeve.

In my experience, the only records that require more aggressive treatment than US and water alone are used records that have been mistreated. I'm not inclined to acquire such records but should that happen, the LP can get the NG treatment before being put in the Klaudio.

Lord knows the Klaudio is a pricey purchase. But after considering the expenses I'd already absorbed to play records and the number of LPs I own, it seemed worth it.

Thanks

miner 06-12-2022 02:19 PM

I started with the NG 2.5Fi, then stepped up to the NG mini-Pro model. Once US models started to gain traction I did my research. Two models were available then, Klaudio and Audio Desk Systeme. I decided on the ADS Pro since this model worked out the design flaws of the previous ADS model. The dealer accepted my NG mini pro as a trade in which helped with the net due. A few years ago a member here (Goulic?) did a comparison of the KLaudio, ADS and Clearaudio Double Smart Matrix but I do not recall his outcome.

Maks 06-12-2022 03:02 PM

This feedback may or may not help, I have 2 of the older KLAudio RCMs and they are great units. There is an argument to be made for the Degritter and its ability to use cleaning fluid, however I have cleaned hundreds of 78s that are far dirtier than any sleeved LP you'll come across in my first KLA with great results. You can literally see the funk in the water after cleaning maybe 10 records, this doesn't happen with LPs. So IMO, the usage of cleaning fluid isn't a factor.

The new KLA uses an external water tank (plastic jug), which I think is both a good and bad thing. Bad in that it is more things to hook up and seems like more of a DIY home solution. The Degritter's removable tank is a nice feature and one of the main reasons I have considered purchasing one and selling one of my KLA units.

I'm a fan of KLAudio, their service is great, but if I was just diving in with my first ultrasonic RCM I'd have to lean toward the Degritter. With a dealer discount, it's half the price of the KLAudio. That $3,000+ price delta can buy a heck of a lot of records or a cart upgrade for your TT. Of course this is all just my 2 pennies.

joel_hifi 06-12-2022 04:09 PM

Love my Degritter, 1000+ LPs cleaned and running strong, coming from VPI 16.5, like moving from the analog to the digital era of RCMs! Not familiar with the Klaudio so cannot comment. Both Klaudio and Degritter owners seem pretty satisfied so I guess in the end it's a matter of how much you're willing to spend...