AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Using Xantech IR sensor (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51402)

leonard1as 07-26-2022 06:49 PM

Using Xantech IR sensor

Hello, I have a MX151 preamp that I'm currently using McIntosh IR remote sensors. I'm trying to switch over to Xantech IR sensors, as the MX151 manual specifies the Xantech HL85K. This discontinued but I found a new old stock HL95K, which is supposed to have better performance than the HL85K model. I can get it to work fine if I use the IR repeater stuck to the front of the MX151, but this will not work for Zone B control. I tried using a mono cable between the Xantech interface board and the Zone B IR input on the back of the MX151. I disconnected the coax cable from the McIntosh remote sensor first. The reason I want to switch to the Xantech sensors is I have a MX180 on the way and wanted to get the new sensors wired before it arrives. Has anyone had success using the IR input on McIntosh preamps? If so, which remote sensor package did you use? Chuck Hinton recommends the Xantech 291-85D, but that is long discontinued. I also bought a WL85K kit that I want to use for Zone B (the HL95K will be for Zone A), but I can't get that one to work either with the mono cable to the IR input.

Thanks,
Leonard

Masterlu 07-26-2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonard1as (Post 1064311)
Hello, I have a MX151 preamp that I'm currently using McIntosh IR remote sensors. I'm trying to switch over to Xantech IR sensors, as the MX151 manual specifies the Xantech HL85K. This discontinued but I found a new old stock HL95K, which is supposed to have better performance than the HL85K model. I can get it to work fine if I use the IR repeater stuck to the front of the MX151, but this will not work for Zone B control. I tried using a mono cable between the Xantech interface board and the Zone B IR input on the back of the MX151. I disconnected the coax cable from the McIntosh remote sensor first. The reason I want to switch to the Xantech sensors is I have a MX180 on the way and wanted to get the new sensors wired before it arrives. Has anyone had success using the IR input on McIntosh preamps? If so, which remote sensor package did you use? Chuck Hinton recommends the Xantech 291-85D, but that is long discontinued. I also bought a WL85K kit that I want to use for Zone B (the HL95K will be for Zone A), but I can't get that one to work either with the mono cable to the IR input.

Thanks,
Leonard

Leonard… I use all URC remotes, sensors and transmitters on all my McIntosh gear. I have no issues activating all features of the unit.

leonard1as 08-04-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1064314)
Leonard… I use all URC remotes, sensors and transmitters on all my McIntosh gear. I have no issues activating all features of the unit.

I got the MX180 preamp and it turns out the Xantech IR repeater kits work fine with it, using a mono cable from the Xantech interface to the IR jacks on the back of the MX180.

Leonard

Masterlu 08-04-2022 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonard1as (Post 1064519)
I got the MX180 preamp and it turns out the Xantech IR repeater kits work fine with it, using a mono cable from the Xantech interface to the IR jacks on the back of the MX180.

Leonard

Great! :thumbsup: