AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Integrated (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Integrated amp suggestions. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11659)

Masterlu 12-29-2021 12:15 PM

AnalogJ… Welcome to AA! :wave:

AnalogJ 12-29-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1051974)
While no tubes, if you are good with used, look for a Bryston integrated. Should find one around your budget. If you find one that includes the original bill-of-sale it will include the balance of the 20yr warranty, which is one of the best in the business. Their two most recent models made 100wpc and 135wpc and can be upgraded with an internal phono-stage and/or a DAC.

For a tube/SS integrated, I was very fond of my BAT VK-300xSE which makes 150wpc. Can be fitted with a very nice internal phono-stage. Again, a used one should fit into your budget and, like most high-end gear, very well made.

I don't mean to post too many times, but a quick followup. I'm seeing the used VK-300xSE for over $4000 (US), while the VK-300x I see for a bit over $2000. What's the difference?

AnalogJ 12-29-2021 12:20 PM

Thank you, Masterlu!

Formerly YB-2 12-29-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ (Post 1052006)
I don't mean to post too many times, but a quick followup. I'm seeing the used VK-300xSE for over $4000 (US), while the VK-300x I see for a bit over $2000. What's the difference?

Won't swear to this, but think the 300x uses 4 or 6 6922 tubes in the preamp section while the 300xSE uses a pair of the 6H30. There may be other differences, but I'm not sure. In my experience, BAT usually answers the phone so you could call and ask.

audibleguy 12-29-2021 03:49 PM

An audiophile buddy of mine just purchased the Pathos Classic MK. III and was driving a pair of Spatial Audio Triode Master Speakers and now has a pair of Wharfedale Linton speakers and he loves it, said the overall presentation, dynamics and top to bottom sound is superb and is not looking to upgrade any time soon. He has a smallish 11' x 12' room.

AnalogJ 12-29-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audibleguy (Post 1052016)
An audiophile buddy of mine just purchased the Pathos Classic MK. III and was driving a pair of Spatial Audio Triode Master Speakers and now has a pair of Wharfedale Linton speakers and he loves it, said the overall presentation, dynamics and top to bottom sound is superb and is not looking to upgrade any time soon. He has a smallish 11' x 12' room.

That's VERY helpful, audibleguy. After having my Unico die (as unfixable), I'm a bit gun shy about buying a used amp. I have bought used before (from an audio dealer), but a bit guy shy now. And a new Classic One would be about the top of my budget.

In any event, the Pathos Classic Remix retails for $300 more than the Classic One, and is based on the Classic One, but with some supposed improvements. It uses more, smaller capacitors rather than the just the two large ones, yet the total capacitance is the same. And it uses LM3886 bipolar transistors rather than MOSFETs. (Pathos told me "There are 2 transistors in each side in bridged configuration, so a total of 4 amplifiers inside the unit.").

Pathos also told me "The operating point of the tubes was improved and more linear; tubes circuit gain was increased so the sound is more 'tube'-like. . They also state that they add use more voltage gain in the preamp stage than the Classic One.

The Remix additionally adds a headphone amplifier as well as options for digital inputs, the latter only usable if an inboard DAC board is purchased (adding $600 to the price). I won't likely use the latter, but it might be worth the extra $300 for the slight improvement in sound and the headphone amp. (I already have a Schitt Mani headphone amp I bought used, which I could sell).

The issue with Pathos is getting in to try. Free shipping initially, and a 60 day trial from Upscale Audio, but I'd be responsible for shipping BOTH ways if I were to return it. It'd be fantastic to have a local dealer where I could try both the Classic One and the Remix, and also not have to risk the cost of shipping. But no dealer close to me.

I'm taking home a McIntosh MA252 to try this weekend. The demo would cost me ~$3000 if I were to keep it (with a 2 year warranty remaining on it).

Xtraheadroom 02-06-2023 09:52 PM

Cambridge Audio CX81. 1,500 skins. A bit bright though. I enjoyed one, 2 different times.

Masterlu 02-06-2023 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My personal favorite Integrated; Accuphase E800

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1675736912