AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Travel & Leisure (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   European Cruise November (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43903)

DonBattles 09-24-2018 09:31 PM

European Cruise November

A little last minute but any recommendations for a European Cruise in November. Yolanda and I will be celebrating out 25th Wedding Anniversary. Originally I didn’t think I could get the time off having started a new job in May but my supervisor said it could actually be ranged given the special nature. We’ve not been to Europe before and I was thinking a cruise offered serval destinations without hopping on multiple flights. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears :)

crwilli 09-24-2018 10:02 PM

European Cruise November

Big continent. I will throw three ideas out.
1) Cruising the Med is perhaps the most common. (On our list)
2) Cruising the Greek isles to Istanbul (awesome)
3) Cruising the Nordic countries and into the Baltic. (Awesome)

Can’t go wrong with any of this areas. Check on the weather.

If you like all inclusive, more intimate cruises, We love Regent Seven Seas. No more than 700 passengers on any of their ships. You NEVER feel like a head of cattle.

The other idea would be a river cruise and there are many good options although I have no experience with them. My Mother in law told my wife and I we are too young for them yet. ~60...

Still-One 09-25-2018 08:08 AM

There are several fewer ships in Europe during the winter as many companies send some to the Caribbean. Still you should have several to choose from.

We have enjoyed several Mediterranean cruises as there numerous routes that hit various destinations. You can't go wrong when they stop in the Greek Islands, Israel, Egypt or Italy.

The Adriatic cruises that stop in Italy, Montenegro, and Croatia were great in the springtime.

As noted above a Baltic cruise that hits Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Russia (St Petesrburg) and Estonia will be memorable. Not sure I want that during the dead of winter though.

bigblue 09-25-2018 04:56 PM

Living in Scandinavia I would suggest a cruise between June-September.
November can be pretty brisk.
But the Norwegian Cruise line Hurtigrutten are doing the routes all year around. So it all depends on how much sun and/or adventure you want to have :-D.
But the southern parts of Europe still offers good temperatures in November.
Congratulations and best of luck with tour.

-E- 09-25-2018 08:10 PM

I think there's still a few Yacht Club cabins available on the Med MSC boats in Nov...

Like everything, it comes down to budget... you want all-inclusive, suites, huge OBC? Flights in J or F? Or just looking for bargain basement?

PHC1 09-25-2018 09:11 PM

Europe in November is definitely a crap shoot in terms of weather... I'd be heading south, Argentina, Costa Rica maybe?

Robert_Anderson 09-26-2018 12:54 AM

Tallinn to St. Petersburg is nice, you can spend 3 days with no visa. Other ports include Helsinki and Stockholm.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Formerly YB-2 09-27-2018 07:20 AM

Are you good with a 'land cruise'? Check out Perillo Tours. We are taking one of their Tuscany/northern Italy tours next fall, but you could likely get on one this Nov. They have an excellent rep and several of our friends recommend them. We especially like the fact that most of their tours spend 2-4 days in each city visited (Rome, Florence, etc.) so one isn't spending half their time packing/unpacking/traveling rather than enjoying the sights of same.

DonBattles 09-28-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 933328)
Are you good with a 'land cruise'? Check out Perillo Tours. We are taking one of their Tuscany/northern Italy tours next fall, but you could likely get on one this Nov. They have an excellent rep and several of our friends recommend them. We especially like the fact that most of their tours spend 2-4 days in each city visited (Rome, Florence, etc.) so one isn't spending half their time packing/unpacking/traveling rather than enjoying the sights of same.

This could actually work out, I’ll be taking a closer look. And thanks for the name of the tour company, that is helpful.

AudioNut 09-28-2018 06:03 PM

Have you thought about a river cruise?

My wife and I took a European River Cruise in November two years ago - which - in spite of the occasional grey weather - was fabulous.

Our boat cruised from Amsterdam to Budapest in 16 days and every stop was amazing.

Every day on the boat, just looking at the gorgeous landscapes, cities, castles, villages, farms, people, that we passed, was incredible. I think I took around 1500 pictures.

Many of the towns had already set up their Christmas Markets and had decorated for the holidays. . . . and were beautiful, and a new experience for us.

I would highly recommend river cruising at just about any time of year. The costs are reasonable, the food is excellent, the lodging is comfortable and the boats are rather luxurious.

My wife and I have cruised in big ships 15 or more times, but the most memorable cruise we have ever taken was on a relatively small (about 110 passengers) river cruise boat.

Think about it!