AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Furutech Flux-50 NCF in the house.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48549)

Vintage Pete 08-30-2020 06:58 PM

Furutech Flux-50 NCF in the house....

For a good while now I've read nothing but praise an accolades as to the benefits of adding one or more Furutech Flux-50 inline power filters to a system. Our beloved late friend Dan had posted very positive reviews of the device, and it came very much recommended by Ivan and others. Over the last few years I would visit these threads from time to time, and talk with Dan about it. I knew one day I would get around to trying at least one of these in my main system.

That day arrived last week, with my first filter arriving Friday evening. It is the most current version, carrying the "NCF" suffix. Since Ivan shipped it, I've been pretty excited awaiting its arrival.

Let's first cut to the point: I'm definitely impressed. It's only been two days, and a good part of Saturday I was distracted with another project (Installing LED kit in my McIntosh MC206 amplifier). I've spend more time listening today, and I can only echo what most have said, improved soundstage, better separation of voices and instruments, and so on. But perhaps what stands out to me the most goes back to a comment Dan made as to the improved "3D" effect that installing the device in his studio system provided.
While my system already had excellent dimensionality and imaging, installing the Flux-50 NCF has taken it even further, with even images occurring outside the plane of the loudspeakers themselves being located even more precisely. Also more spatial ambience seems to be present, in some cases in recordings where it had not been apparent at all.

Dan had installed his at the power inlet of his PurePower 2000 AC regenerator, where the bulk of his studio system was parked.I installed mine in similar fashion-at the power inlet of my PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 AC regenerator. In my mind, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense that this should yield an improvement. After all, if we are using a regenerator, all that dirty AC has been cleaned up by the time it reaches the system, right? And yet, Dan and others report an improvement even putting one of these ahead of a regenerator.

I thought I would get a little scientific and note the display data provided by my P12 as to the THD coming in vs. coming out of the P12 before the installation of the filter. I was showing roughly 4.0% THD coming in, and 0.1% coming out. In theory, after installing the filter, it would seem that I should see improved AC signal coming into the P12, as reported by the P12.
The strange thing is, I see no real difference in the AC Quality characteristics coming into the P12 with the filter installed, but I still hear a performance improvement. I'm having trouble understanding what is happening here.

Dan noted some seemingly unexplainable phenomena with his as well. For example, he reported that in his living room, he saw a picture improvement on his TV, which was connected to the same dedicated circuit as his subwoofer, which he had installed a Flux-50 on. It didn't make sense to him; he speculated that somehow perhaps there was a backflushing effect which yielded a video benefit. He concluded that "whatever it is that is happening, I am liking it".

That's pretty much how I have to look at it. I (we) don't fully understand how are why some of these tweaks give us benefits, sometimes dramatic benefits.
It's happened to me, to some extent, with many of the tweaks I've implemented. Who would think a set of little feet could improve a component's performance? I was skeptical of these idea, but after I installed Stillpoints under a couple of pieces, I was a believer...even if I don't fully understand how they can produce that level of benefit. I have to admit I have an even harder time understanding how a filter connected BEFORE a regenerator can make much difference. I'd like to hear any insights my fellow members might have on this. I'd also be interested in knowing if there is a "break-in" period with these. It seems to me that I'd seen in previous threads that there is.

In conclusion, I'll repeat Dan once again..."whatever it is that is happening, I am liking it". :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And as always, thank you Ivan for getting me fixed up with yet another winner!

Higgens 08-30-2020 07:34 PM

Well done. Thanks Pete.

Macuser 08-30-2020 07:53 PM

I also had to try a flux 50 after reading Dan's well written review. I had mine on my front end where the difference was not only audible it could also be measured by a significant reduction in emi. I liked it enough that a few months ago I picked up a 2nd flux 50 and now I have one on my Mcintosh mc1201's. Someday I'll add another one to my front end once again and of course I'd love to see what it does for a tv.

Vintage Pete 08-30-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macuser (Post 1013067)
I also had to try a flux 50 after reading Dan's well written review. I had mine on my front end where the difference was not only audible it could also be measured by a significant reduction in emi. I liked it enough that a few months ago I picked up a 2nd flux 50 and now I have one on my Mcintosh mc1201's. Someday I'll add another one to my front end once again and of course I'd love to see what it does for a tv.

Macuser....you make what is possibly a good point relating to my observations. The criteria that is displayed by my P12 may simply not be telling the whole story. In this case, EMI as you mentioned. But shouldn't the output of the AC regenerator be free from EMI?

Masterlu 08-30-2020 08:15 PM

Pete... I’m very happy to know you are enjoying the Furutech NCF Flux-50. I have countless numbers of these throughout all of my systems. As far as break-in goes; about 150 hours +/-

Vintage Pete 09-15-2020 08:33 PM

Update

I'm bumping this thread to report my impressions not that my Flux-50 NCF has had 150+ hours of break-in time over the last 2-1/2 weeks or so.

All I can really saw is WOW. My initial post was enthusiastic; let's dial that enthusiasm up about 5 times! Things have really improved a LOT. As I spin more and more music, the more impressed I am.

Our dear friend Dan aka jdandy was very enthusiastic about this product. He used to always say it was like somebody through a "3D switch" in his system. I would agree with that, if there is one thing that is immediately apparent (and still becoming more more apparent) it's the improvement in dimensional-ism,
with instruments precisely placed all across a beautiful sonic landscape. It is amazing.

But there is more than that-there is a very, very marked improvement in the separation of instruments, voices, together with other nuances heard in the music that simply were not heard before. Stringed instruments seem to reap a particular benefit-in one case, the strumming of strings unheard before seeming to emanate right out of the front of one of my McIntosh MC501 amplifiers. Amazing.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. As Dan had said in one of his posts here, this product is CRAZY good. :yes: :yes:

Masterlu 09-15-2020 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1600225742

cdobson 09-15-2020 11:11 PM

I should have hopped on this bus. :-)

Masterlu 09-15-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdobson (Post 1014686)
I should have hopped on this bus. :-)

:shortbus:

:D

TommyC 09-16-2020 01:24 AM

Anyone tried connecting more than one Flux in series?