AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   REL Carbon Special (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50658)

btn2803 12-13-2021 05:14 PM

REL Carbon Special

I took the plunge and ordered 2 RELs Carbon Special :banana:

I plan to follow REL's instructions of hooking these up via High Level Input to each of the MC611s, and XLR LFE input to the 2 Marantz 8805 sub outs.

Does any of you have similar hook up in their system with the Carbon Special who can share their insights (Dos / Donts)?

I reached out to McIntosh (Chuck Hinton) and he initially recommended to hook up the REL via Low Level RCA inputs to the preamp variable outs and did not recommend using the speaker level connection on MC611. I then sent him the note published by REL on the preferred method of connecting to monoblocs using high level input, and he replied in his email that either approach is ok, and it's up to me to decide.

I wonder if anyone of you have first hand experience on either approach, and what is the best way to connect the RELs to the MC611s and 8805A surround processor. Any guidance is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

bart 12-13-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 1050865)
I took the plunge and ordered 2 RELs Carbon Special :banana:

I plan to follow REL's instructions of hooking these up via High Level Input to each of the MC611s, and XLR LFE input to the 2 Marantz 8805 sub outs.

Does any of you have similar hook up in their system with the Carbon Special who can share their insights (Dos / Donts)?

I reached out to McIntosh (Chuck Hinton) and he initially recommended to hook up the REL via Low Level RCA inputs to the preamp variable outs and did not recommend using the speaker level connection on MC611. I then sent him the note published by REL on the preferred method of connecting to monoblocs using high level input, and he replied in his email that either approach is ok, and it's up to me to decide.

I wonder if anyone of you have first hand experience on either approach, and what is the best way to connect the RELs to the MC611s and 8805A surround processor. Any guidance is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

Hi, you'll be very pleased with your new pair!
The most important upgrade of our system we made the last years.

For stereo, the high level input is preferred. That is what our dealer suggested (and he's REL's favourite dealer of my country). I was surprised that we only had to dial the volume at +/- 25%. I think we ended at about 35-37 Hz.

For surround, we went with RCA-cables from our Marantz 8802A sub outs.

It's all working very well, you don't hear the subs (until you turn them off!), you just feel them (at high volumes).

Good luck!

PS. There was only one negative: we had to wait 4 months...

Antonmb 12-13-2021 06:25 PM

Excellent choice. I have a single Carbon Special, also connected via high level from my D’Agostino Momentum S250. This is my 6th REL over the years, with a variety of amps, and I’ve always used the high level inputs except for surround use, then low level from the theatre processor.

btn2803 12-13-2021 06:28 PM

Thank you Tony and Bart.

and thanks for confirming that you are hooking these up via High level cables. I can't wait and hope it will arrive next week. It will be a fantastic Christmas :thumbsup:

Weirdcuba 12-13-2021 07:58 PM

Ditto. 2 different sets of RELs with high level inputs. Not with McIntosh amplifiers, but great results (and super easy to dial in).

JoeN 12-13-2021 08:02 PM

Awesome. Please give us a full report after they break-in.

btn2803 12-13-2021 08:48 PM

Thank you all. Will report back once received and dialed in.

Grasshopper 12-14-2021 01:06 AM

I’m just trying to learn more about REL. the idea of the 6 pack intrigues me.

So - from what I gather on this thread, you connect REL sub with a small wire that comes off your amp (while your speaker cables also go from the amp to the mains-

And then you connect either RCA or XLR from your video processor at the same time?

In other words, when listening in two channel, the subs are activated from the high level, but then when watching a movie, they play from the LFE out on your processor?

W9TR 12-14-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1050896)
I’m just trying to learn more about REL. the idea of the 6 pack intrigues me.

So - from what I gather on this thread, you connect REL sub with a small wire that comes off your amp (while your speaker cables also go from the amp to the mains-

And then you connect either RCA or XLR from your video processor at the same time?

In other words, when listening in two channel, the subs are activated from the high level, but then when watching a movie, they play from the LFE out on your processor?

Correct, that is the REL recommendation. Speaker level connection for the mains, line level for LFE. Set your processor front speakers to large so the subs and mains get full range signals.

With amps whose (-) terminal is not at ground, you either leave the ground wire floating or connect it to a chassis ground screw.

jmw31 12-14-2021 10:05 AM

I was looking at REL's. This is the response I go from customer service regarding mono blocks:

"Thank you for your interest in REL. If planning to use a single REL with monoblocks, you must use a low level RCA connection via the preamp instead of high level.
If connecting a pair of REL's via high level to the MC2301's, the BLACK wire should be left disconnected from a negative speaker terminal. You would connect the RED and YELLOW wires of each sub to the 8 ohm positive tap on each amp for best output.
Please let us know if there is anything else at all that we can assist with, and thank you again for considering our products."