AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Is Old Music Killing New Music? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50822)

JoeN 02-03-2022 08:57 AM

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Apparently, a lot of people are enjoying older music; even those of this generation. In the article Is Old Music Killing New Music? it states, “Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. … The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams.“

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Interesting article. :thumbsup:

Formerly YB-2 02-03-2022 10:01 AM

Works for me. What passes for music these days (hip hop, C&W, religious crap, etc.) Is just noise to my ears.

JoeN 02-03-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1054651)
Works for me. What passes for music these days (hip hop, C&W, religious crap, etc.) Is just noise to my ears.

Agreed. The music today is like audio-poison :icon_beer: It kills the beauty of true music - IMO.

FreddieFerric 02-03-2022 10:44 AM

These days I'm finding solace in Ben Webster, Oscar Petersen, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Duke, a few others and then a lot of great classical music.

Every now and then I catch some of the "new" music on the radio or tv or some garbage emanating from the car next to me in traffic. Makes me want to :puke:

eljr 02-03-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1054651)

"What passes for music these days"?
Come on man.

When I was young, my dad said the same about the music I listened to.

Still-One 02-03-2022 11:02 AM

If it weren't for newer music I would dump this hobby in a minute. I don't need to listen to the same stuff from the 60's and 70's that I grew up with. Heard it enough.

It also BS that so much of that music is great. All of that early Beatles stuff is no less trite than any of today's stuff.

And the world has spoken with their pocket books. Jazz in general is the worst.

piolaxo 02-03-2022 12:24 PM

The problem with new stuff is not only the style of music, but the quality of the recordings.
More often than not, the records are compressed so much and thus their dynamic range
is terrible, they are just too loud. For me, modern stuff doesn't really wow me. There
are exceptions of course, which I have them in a "New Rock" folder to quickly identify
them and that folder is not very large.

hobie1dog 02-03-2022 06:51 PM

Sounds like 95% of the really great songs have already been composed and the new musical artists simply can't come up with a good melody to save their rear end, That's why new music sucks.

FreddieFerric 02-03-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 1054657)
...Jazz in general is the worst.

Dem be fightin' words son. :bruce:

BTW, when you're dumping your gear at a massive discount shoot me a PM. :lmao:

rjinaz86323 02-04-2022 01:06 AM

I listen to classic rock, country, blues, and smooth jazz. Tonight I am listening to Santana, George Jones, Merle Haggard, and Waylon Jennings. The new stuff just doesn't do it for me.