AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41915)

Puma Cat 11-12-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1001638)
I have not done an A/B comparison, but had good luck with both USB from a Mac Mini, and S/PDIF from a Naim Uniti Core. On a closely related note, I did compare various interconnects, and that made a dramatic difference in sound quality. I ended up with Nordost Blue Heaven. So for anyone comparing various inputs, I recommend comparing cables too.

Just to be clear: connecting any computer via USB directly to a DAC is not a good idea. Much better to use a network bridge, streamer or similar. Even the affordable Sonore microRendu v1.5 for $399 will provide a big improvement in audio quality.

The farther away computers with high-bandwidth CPUs and GPUs are from audio racks with analog amplification components and speaker cables, the better.

PeterMusic 11-17-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1020997)
Just to be clear: connecting any computer via USB directly to a DAC is not a good idea. Much better to use a network bridge, streamer or similar. Even the affordable Sonore microRendu v1.5 for $399 will provide a big improvement in audio quality.

The farther away computers with high-bandwidth CPUs and GPUs are from audio racks with analog amplification components and speaker cables, the better.

Yes, I agree--my last post was not clear. My previous one was better. Thanks

Puma Cat 11-17-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1021452)
Yes, I agree--my last post was not clear. My previous one was better. Thanks

Cheers, Peter! :thumbsup: :)

Grasshopper 11-24-2021 01:47 PM

I wanted to revive this thread/review. Man I still really miss Dan!!!

Is the Yggy still awesome? I'm looking for a new DAC and don't want to overspend. Esoteric and dCS are the usual suspects.

This review from Dan makes me think the Yggy can get pretty close to these top contenders.

Has anybody taken the Yggy head to head against some of the mid-tier dCS offerings?

Is the Yggy still awesome?

W9TR 11-24-2021 02:25 PM

Still loving my Yggdrasil after several years. I haven’t compared it with the high dollar offerings. Still like it better than my Benchmark DAC 3 HGC.

Puma Cat 11-24-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1049423)
I wanted to revive this thread/review. Man I still really miss Dan!!!

Is the Yggy still awesome? I'm looking for a new DAC and don't want to overspend. Esoteric and dCS are the usual suspects.

This review from Dan makes me think the Yggy can get pretty close to these top contenders.

Has anybody taken the Yggy head to head against some of the mid-tier dCS offerings?

Is the Yggy still awesome?

If you're open to it and have the budget, I'd give the Lampizator Baltic 3 serious consideration.

sid325 11-29-2021 06:24 PM

Completely satisfied with my Yggy, love it.

Grasshopper 12-04-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1049454)
If you're open to it and have the budget, I'd give the Lampizator Baltic 3 serious consideration.

I’m open to anything, however,my wife said she cannot stand the Lampizator name and gave it a hard pass. I then told her about how it looks and she gave it a double no.

Tough crowd :)

Grasshopper 12-04-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sid325 (Post 1049803)
Completely satisfied with my Yggy, love it.

Glad to hear.

My new Yggy Less is More has been burning in all day and all night.

Hoping to hear what it’s capable of in the next day or so.