AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Klipsch Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   A system centered around the Klipschorn (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12181)

o0OBillO0o 01-29-2012 09:58 PM

The "???" is what I'm not sure what I want or need

Speakers: Klipschorn
Center: LaScala
Surround: LaScala
Processor: Yamaha RXV1800
Amplifier: McIntosh MC275 ???
Preamp: McIntosh C2300 - ???
Turntable: VPI Classic 3-???
Turntable: Project Debut III
Digital: MCD500- ???
Digital: Apple Airport Express & iPad
Digital: PS3
Digital: Direct TV
TV: Sony KDL52XBR4
Cables:???
Power: ???
Stand/Rack:???
Subwoofer: 2x JL Audio F113
Crossover: ???
Roomsize: 14x17
Acoustic treatment: ???

Currently, I have '78 Klipschorns, a pair of JL Audio F113 subwoofers, a Yamaha RXV1800. I am almost going insane with the forward tilt of sound, I'm looking for a more romantic bass tilt to the music. I've eq'd as much as i liked. Thinking the MC275 will fix that. I purchased the Klipschorns from a guy who had a wonderful Adcom amp & all the bass I needed was there- looking to gain that back & then some.

Any recommendations to complete this system?

klipschfan 01-30-2012 12:15 AM

Before you buy any gear....suggest you update your crossovers with all new parts first.

o0OBillO0o 01-30-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipschfan
Before you buy any gear....suggest you update your crossovers with all new parts first.

I have my suspicions about the crossovers, is there any way to tell? A test or spec that the crossover must be I tolerance in?

I rather refresh to OEM vs getting a Crites or ALK variant. I don't want to loose that sound - they always make me smile. I was thinking of contacting Klipsch's service dept and ordering new OEM crossovers. Do you know of a better way?

Good suggestion.

klipschfan 01-30-2012 12:55 AM

Caps should be replaced around twenty years or so. Can stick with Klipsch specs. Don't have to go wild...although I really liked the Mundorf silver in oil caps.

Refresh the crossovers and your ears will thank you!. Can have new crossovers built and just swap them out. Might as well put new wire in at the same time.

If you do not like the sound after they run for a month or so. Put the old ones back in...don't see it happening though.

Can call Klipsch and ask.....don't think they will stock crossovers that old. Plenty of info on their web site in the forum section for anything and everything concerning Heritage crossovers.

Time and money spent now on the crossovers will reward you with much better sound.

o0OBillO0o 01-30-2012 01:19 AM

Herehttp://www.critesspeakers.com/prices...epair_kit.html& herehttp://www.alkeng.com/ap_xo.html $260 & $600 respectively - I can't imagine Klipsch direct would be less. I can see this becoming a downward spiral if the crossover update doesn't solve the issue.

TMC 02-03-2012 01:23 PM

Im using Klipsch classic speakers in my home theatre. A pair of K-horns with a Belle center and 2 Belles for surrounds. For subs I use a pair of Bag End D18-I's with an 8Hz processor. Power for the 5 Klipsch comes from a Krell KAV-1500 and each sub pair has a dedicated Crown K-2 in mono. Im planning some Klipsch upgrades as well.

o0OBillO0o 02-03-2012 02:42 PM

I have Klipschorns , left & right. Lascala center & surround. 2x JL Audio F113 subs.

So $800-$1500 in crossover upgrades depending which route I go.

capt.chaos 02-03-2012 06:53 PM

After you upgrade your crossovers, I would then get from your list the following.
Mcintosh C2300
Mcintosch MC275's
Mcintosh MCD500
VPI Classic 3
Benz Micro Gullwing or ebony cart
Then your two channel will be Killer.
If you want the multichannel thing you will need a Mcintosh Mx and MVP.
Man, I like telling other people how to spend their money. LOL

capt.chaos 02-03-2012 06:55 PM

By the way, Nice Speakers!

o0OBillO0o 02-03-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt.chaos
After you upgrade your crossovers, I would then get from you list the following.
Mcintosh C2300
Mcintosch MC275's
Mcintosh MCD500
VPI Classic 3
Benz Micro Gullwing or ebony cart
Then your two channel will be Killer.
If you want the multichannel thing you will need a Mcintosh Mx and MVP.
Man, I like telling other people how to spend their money. LOL

That's close to my plan. I'm not going to go MX&MVP upgrades because I already have a processor. I would love to do 5x MC275, but that would mean I'd have to budget for a ton of tube replacements. Thoughts on MC2101/MC2301?

I'm also hoping the MC275 will take the edge/ forward sound off the Klipschorns. I'm passed the dynamics & high efficiency honeymoon!

klipschfan 02-04-2012 12:32 AM

For Khorns, LaScala's and Cornwalls the best sound that I obtained was from using a power conditioner and a separate DAC.

Have gone through many amps from 5 watt tube mono blocks to 1200 watt solid state mono blocks. Had a blast experimenting with swapping gear in and out of the system. For my ears with Klipsch, there wasn't much difference when comparing the MC275 with the MC352. As there was comparing a McIntosh amp with a BAT amp.

Whatever you decide to go with-suggest you find a dealer who has Klipsch Heritage in stock and spend some demo time listening to different combinations of gear that you are considering. Even if you have to take a trip/vacation...it will be worth it!.

capt.chaos 02-04-2012 01:03 AM

The MC2102 & MC2300 are both great amps. With your speakers my first choice would be the MC275.I think the MC275 is all the power you need. And if you want more power you can always run two at 150 wpc. The MC2301 at $22,000 a pair is a lot to pay for extra power you do not really need. The MC2102 is $8,000 for 100 wpc. The MC275 is $4,500 for 75wpc or $9,000 for 150 wpc. I have two pairs of Klipschorns and I use 150 wpc for one pair and 75 wpc for the other pair. I normally listen at less than 10 watts. I find 75 wpc to be enough for me.

o0OBillO0o 04-03-2012 09:06 AM

Okay, It's gonna be about $600 for some crossovers. AND I am getting the new speaker itch..

Thank you for you input. I am weighing my options very carefully.

klipschfan 04-03-2012 09:15 AM

New speaker itch.....never heard of it. :D

Doctors say it takes about about 25 pairs to shake it. Then you wind up with the same pair you started with and everything returns to normal...:smoking:

Pyro 04-16-2012 08:39 PM

I was the proud owner of a pair of 60th Anniversary K-Horns. Used them with a pair of MC501's. Both very nice pieces but the K-horns didn't sound right in my listening room paired with 500 watt mono blocks so I sold them and got a pair of PMC EB1i's.

If you are set on keeping the k-horns I would go with some MC275's for sure.

o0OBillO0o 04-17-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipschfan (Post 292036)
New speaker itch.....never heard of it. :D

Doctors say it takes about about 25 pairs to shake it. Then you wind up with the same pair you started with and everything returns to normal...:smoking:

Well, the good thing is, I am un-able to make any purchases at this time, and for the next 6 months or so- All due to not being around.

However, I do have internet access & I have been through, read researched until 2am, about 18 or so different models of speakers.

I wake up one day and think "What about this..?" or read interesting feedback in ToneAudio or Stereophile or hit the "New Posts" link see thoughts on here.

So in a sense I have come full circle. I think if I refresh the Klipschorn (and Lascalla) crossovers and acquire a single or pair of McIntosh MC275's to audition is where I am at.

The next obstacle is that I will be moving in a few years & finding/building a home that has the right layout for the Klipschorns.
If I can't get through that, I'll make sure AudioAficionado subscribers get first dibbs.
:music:

o0OBillO0o 06-07-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipschfan (Post 263462)
For Khorns, LaScala's and Cornwalls the best sound that I obtained was from using a power conditioner and a separate DAC.

Have gone through many amps from 5 watt tube mono blocks to 1200 watt solid state mono blocks. Had a blast experimenting with swapping gear in and out of the system. For my ears with Klipsch, there wasn't much difference when comparing the MC275 with the MC352. As there was comparing a McIntosh amp with a BAT amp.

Whatever you decide to go with-suggest you find a dealer who has Klipsch Heritage in stock and spend some demo time listening to different combinations of gear that you are considering. Even if you have to take a trip/vacation...it will be worth it!.

I'm going to find a dealer that has McIntosh in stock and willing to loan me some amps to compare.

I've read outstanding feedback for the MC275. Still, I'm not from the tube generation nor have been interested in the sound. Frankly, I don't want pay for tubes every so often.

Does anyone have feedback from using Klipsch Heritage with other McIntosh amps? From the MC252 to MC1.2K?

klipschfan 06-08-2012 07:35 AM

Solid State Mc amps sound great with Klipsch Heritage. Have used MC162 to MC1.2KW. Meters won't move much...:D

Another amp to consider and demo is the ModWright KWA100SE.

o0OBillO0o 06-08-2012 09:55 AM

Will the meters be stuck to the left!? I guess I can get over it. ;-)

bvlaw 06-12-2012 10:54 PM

No experience with Klispch Heritage, but I have Klipsch RF-7s with MC501s and Klipsch RF-63s with a MC402. Both systems sound great to my ears.

GaryProtein 06-12-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 320838)
Will the meters be stuck to the left!? I guess I can get over it. ;-)

With high efficiency speakers and very high powered amplifiers, the needles will certainly stay low on the left.

o0OBillO0o 06-13-2012 03:58 AM

Okay.. Whew!

So after some deliberation. I think I am at this point here:

78 Klipschorns with updated Crossovers from ALK ENG
2 X JL Audio Fathom F113 Subwoofers
Mcintosh MS300 (upgraded 750GB)
Sony CDP-CX400 (Mega Changer to import music to MS300)
Playstation 3
Apple TV
DirecTV
Project Debut III Turntable.
Sony 52KDL-XBR4

The planned upgrades are:
*McIntosh MCD500 SACD/CD player with Digital in (optical & Coaxial)

I would provide the digital out from the MS300 (Coax) and the SonyTV (Optical) to the back of the MCD500 for it's superior Digital to Analog conversion.

*McIntosh Integrated amplifier.

I can't make up my mind between the MA6600 and the MA7000. Both offer great features.

The MA7000 looks good & is very traditional. It has a plethora of knobs and buttons that pre-date notions of "firmware" and digital displays. This makes it very convenient to access any of the features all on the front face plate. It also has 2 sets of Balanced inputs however I don't think I'd use them. It has a set of balanced outputs that would mate well with the balanced inputs of my JL F113. Though, is it a truly balance design-does it matter? The handles really make it a statement piece, it could stand alone in the living room and even guests would be like, "That looks very interesting!?"

The MA6600
I can't retype all the great comments and reviews from the forum members and the internet. What I like is the ability to trim the inputs to match- that tosses into the other issues of the loudness wars in the recording industry. I also like the ability to add the TM2 tuner module which provides the flexibility to turn the MA6600 into a receiver. I like that each unused input can be shut down so I am getting right down to business. This costs less than the MA7000 and gives up some in looks, yet overall retains the greatest flexibility.

Tubes are out of the question because I do not want to have to replace them over and over-even if they get 4000hrs!

McIntosh MEN220 "Room Perfect" Processor
Today's modern tech has allowed the music listener to enjoy studio level performance in a home environment. I'm on the fence about this because room acoustics can be tackled in the analog domain through room treatments, albeit spouse friendly. I'd like to sample this regardless to see if it's worth it.

Lastly, I am still deciding how much longer I want to hold onto the Klipschorn. I started to look at what McIntosh had to offer, to include the XLS320 and XCS350.

Thanks for your input and feedback so far.

Bill

miner 06-13-2012 10:45 AM

Bill,
Good snag on the MS300 (with the 750GB HD). I have always been a fan of hte Klipsch Heritage series - you have a nice lineage in the Khorns.

deafbykhorns 07-06-2012 08:17 PM

I almost sold mine Before the upgrade, have never looked back since.
I would go vintage tubes for more power or flea powered SE amps if your not a DB junkie.
I settled with 6wpc SE monoblocks
The new MC275 didn't differ much from the MC352 as stated in a previous post
I have paired these speakers with at least 50amps over the years

o0OBillO0o 07-07-2012 01:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I scored a McIntosh MCD500!!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...ash/HT12-1.jpg googleimages

Here is my current system plan, replace the XLS320 Speakers with Klipschorns
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...2&d=1341638110

Here is the plan should I get the MEN220 "Room Perfect" processor
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...3&d=1341638121

Formerly YB-2 07-15-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 323235)
I can't make up my mind between the MA6600 and the MA7000. Both offer great features.

Tubes are out of the question because I do not want to have to replace them over and over-even if they get 4000hrs!

Bill

While you could not possibly go wrong with either of those integrated amps (loved my MA6600), changing tubes every 4-5000 hours is like once per year, maximum. And then only the power tubes, as the small signal tubes last 10,000+ hours. If you turn your system off when not in use you easily get 2-3 years of life out of the power tubes and at least twice that from the small signal tubes. Changing tubes takes all of 10-minutes in all of the McIntosh tube amps or the MA2275 (not my first choice but popular with many) and is very simple. More involved with the C2200/2300 as a cover must be removed to access the tubes. Your Klispch will work perfectly well with tubes or solid-state.

o0OBillO0o 07-15-2012 12:55 PM

Glenn..

Thank you for taking the time to break it down for me. I suppose If I had a spares I wouldn't have to worry to much. Of course I would suck if I was out of town and I had to explain this wife. :(

william13 08-17-2012 06:04 PM

Hello o0OBillo0O

william 13

o0OBillO0o 08-18-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by william13 (Post 350715)
Hello o0OBillo0O

william 13

Hello back. :D

luvmy92 09-19-2012 03:09 PM

I have some heavily modified Khorns, and I can strongly suggest you upgrade your crossovers. I have compared many on my old La Scala's (AK-3's, ALKs and AA's) and to my ears the ALK universals were by far the better network. I use them in my current Khorns and they made a dramatic difference.

As for amps, look no further than a pair of NosValve VRD's. 60wpc and they fit like a glove with a pair of Khorns.

Mike

o0OBillO0o 09-19-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for your input, I will take that in to consideration.

o0OBillO0o 10-24-2012 10:13 AM

okay..

MA2275

or

C500t with MC275 (I'm caught on fully balanced design)

worth twice the price?

??

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

joeinid 10-24-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o
okay..

MA2275

or

C500t with MC275 (I'm caught on fully balanced design)

worth twice the price?

??

I think so. I especially like the new MC275 mk VI design/ features.

o0OBillO0o 10-24-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid

I think so. I especially like the new MC275 mk VI design/ features.

Yes. I do like the updated design. love to have a pair, but I can already do the "maxell" commercial with 130wpc receiver.

still with the Fully balanced C500t I would retain the excellent channel separation.

LordoftheRingsEE 10-24-2012 01:01 PM

----- The Klipschorn Speaker | Home Theater

o0OBillO0o 10-24-2012 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE

Thank Bob. They truly are a timeless design and a classic.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

deafbykhorns 11-01-2012 09:22 PM

If you want to hear some highly modified Khorns with some tube gear your just down the road from me. Your welcome to stop by if you want to drive to Jacksonville.
My system will blow your socks off. You can hear it with a full Mcintosh system and a flea powered DIY system

o0OBillO0o 11-01-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafbykhorns (Post 387223)
If you want to hear some highly modified Khorns with some tube gear your just down the road from me. Your welcome to stop by if you want to drive to Jacksonville.
My system will blow your socks off. You can hear it with a full Mcintosh system and a flea powered DIY system

I'll take you up on that. Wife's booked me for a the next few weekends, but I will keep you posted!

wemfan 04-30-2014 10:58 PM

I have some original Klipschorns powered by a C2300 pre and a MC275. It is a very good combination. I have never been happy with any SS amp through the Khorns and I have tried a bunch so I finally tried the MC275 and it is clearly a great match. Horns seem to need tubes in my experience.

TWiiii 12-16-2014 06:35 PM

The first thing I would do is get rid of the yamaha processor and upgrade to a Mac MX 121. I love my 120 especially in the pure analog mode for stereo recordings. Mac processors are so much smoother and though you don't have all the options for effects the yamaha has the Mac processors are better for letting the original studio effects come thru for you to experience. If you want to make a stereo recording into something more you can do that, too, but not to the extent of the Yamaha. I'm not a tube lover anymore did that in the 60's and 70's and have no desire to go back. So I'll keep my MC 207's. They are sweet amps and don't take up to much space.