AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bricasti Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Bricasti Products to be disabled in ROON (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48610)

crwilli 09-09-2020 11:35 AM

Bricasti Products to be disabled in ROON

Woah!! I just received an email from ROON saying they are cutting off the ability for any uncertified ROON ready product to be enabled in ROON as of Sept 21!

My Bricasti M21 is uncertified as was the M3. I have asked Bricasti if they are pursuing certification. If not, the network/ROON endpoint of the Bricasti products just went ‘poof’ with ROON.

This is a BIG deal for anyone who, like me, use the ROON endpoint networking capabilities of their Bricasti product.

It would force me to move my Silenzio back to my rack and use a USB cable (which I just sold). Anxious times until I hear from Brian at Bricasti.

JemHadar 09-09-2020 11:48 AM

Does the Bricasti support Airplay ?....could be a work around as Roon streams to Airplay devices, be it at lower quality.

crwilli 09-09-2020 12:43 PM

No. That’s a non-starter from an SQ perspective.

crwilli 09-09-2020 01:59 PM

Bricasti Products to be disabled in ROON

Apparently in order to become certified, a manufacturer has to send their product(s) to ROON and they do NOT get them back. Certification is free. If true, a steep ante to join the game.

Some Bricasti products are not the only products impacted by this.

John Jordan 09-09-2020 09:46 PM

Craig-

It seems this word is out. Tonight while trying to enact the 60 day Roon trial included with my Bryston BDP3 brought up the OPPS page at Roon. The response from Roon support will hopefully tell more.

crwilli 09-09-2020 09:54 PM

I am sure I am not the only one who responded in a manner that let them know their new policy ‘for the customer’ was anything but.

sircharles 09-10-2020 07:59 AM

Wow! Quite unsettling news. I haven’t received any email from Roon concerning my M1..... Please let us know what Brian says about this.

JGlackan 09-10-2020 08:08 AM

The M1 is certified Roon ready!

sircharles 09-10-2020 08:34 AM

Yes I’m aware... Just feeling uncertain about this news.

I hope this “fallout” doesn’t lead to all Bricasti products being dropped by Roon.

Quite unreasonable that Roon doesn’t return the products back after they are done certifying them.

JRiver would work in place of Roon to maintain network capabilities. A thought I now have to think about and probably start planing for.

Puma Cat 09-10-2020 12:50 PM

Some info from the Roon CTO that may be informative and provide some context:

Roon CTO:

"This change prevents manufacturers from signing the Roon Ready license agreements, obtaining our SDK, building hardware using our technology, and then skipping our certification/review process and releasing unfinished, unreviewed products straight to customers.

We don’t charge for certification, but going through our certification process is a hard requirement for manufacturers to use use our technology. It is the only way that we can maintain the quality + support level that people associate with Roon Ready.

A tiny minority of manufacturers have released uncertified devices. We have been communicating with manufacturers about this coming change for over a year, and have provided ample time for them to come into compliance, and most of them have."

and

"This is only about manufacturers who licensed the Roon Ready SDK from us commercially, then violated our license by skipping the Roon Ready certification process. It’s not very many manufacturers. We began communicating with manufacturers about this in 2018. They have had ample warning to sort things out."