AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   How much new Vinyl do you have... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46646)

Masterlu 09-11-2019 10:09 AM

How much new Vinyl do you have...

How much new Vinyl do you have still sitting around unopened?

I am actually guilty of quite a lot. I buy far more than I have time to listen to, which results in them being stored neatly, and properly for another time.

I buy lots of classics, rock, jazz and way too many boxed sets.

For The Love of Music 09-11-2019 11:08 AM

I only have purchased 12 albums in the last few weeks, and 8 out of 10 albums of those are sitting wrapped - as I learn more about this, it’s no guarantee despite buying from known presses, vintage, etc

I am learning a lot about this and know I’ll get bit but want to keep odds in my favor to avoid further expenses to buy more great sounding albums.

Mikado463 09-11-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 979298)
I only have purchased 12 albums in the last few weeks,

Wow, that's more than I purchased in the past year ! But with a modest collection (1500 plus or minus) I never run out of something to listen to.

Probably the most I ever purchased at one time might have been a half dozen albums, had them opened, cleaned and LAST treated and played within a week.

audioguy3107 09-11-2019 12:14 PM

Probably around 500 or so. I don’t have the biggest collection by far, but I do my best to focus on it being as high quality as possible, I.e. the correct pressings, MOFI, Analogue Productions, collectible box sets etc. I have quite a few Classic Records pressings that are long out of print. I recently found an original Mobile Fidelity pressing of Queen’s Night At The Opera in mint condition I got from a guy on the Hoffman Forums for example. It wasn’t dirt cheap, but way better than the typical compressed reissues that are out there. I learned very quickly that it’s better to spend a bit extra than to penny pinch, especially on used vinyl. By doing this I have almost totally avoided bad pressings and records on crappy condition.

- Buck

bart 09-11-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 979307)
Probably around 500 or so. I don’t have the biggest collection by far, but I do my best to focus on it being as high quality as possible, I.e. the correct pressings, MOFI, Analogue Productions, collectible box sets etc. I have quite a few Classic Records pressings that are long out of print. I recently found an original Mobile Fidelity pressing of Queen’s Night At The Opera in mint condition I got from a guy on the Hoffman Forums for example. It wasn’t dirt cheap, but way better than the typical compressed reissues that are out there. I learned very quickly that it’s better to spend a bit extra than to penny pinch, especially on used vinyl. By doing this I have almost totally avoided bad pressings and records on crappy condition.

- Buck

Buck, 500 unopened albums?!
I'd finally play a couple of them if I were you! :D

Antonmb 09-11-2019 05:37 PM

I’m current, but I recently went on a cleaning spree and took care of a dozen or so new ones that had been collecting

damacman 09-11-2019 05:40 PM

Less than a dozen unopened.

Puma Cat 09-11-2019 05:54 PM

Too much and not enough! LOL.

NZ421291 09-11-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 979305)
Wow, that's more than I purchased in the past year ! But with a modest collection (1500 plus or minus) I never run out of something to listen to.

Probably the most I ever purchased at one time might have been a half dozen albums, had them opened, cleaned and LAST treated and played within a week.

Same- except use my Smart Matrix RC & L'Art Du Son treatment.

Purchase about 5 LPs a week, & listen to them over the weekend (Saturday night & Sunday afternoon are my big listening sessions)- also cataloging my collection on Discogs (532 records graded & cataloged so far), so play about 2 to 3 of my existing collection to grade for cataloging- playing some LP's I havent listened too in 10 years- great fun.

audioguy3107 09-11-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 979350)
Buck, 500 unopened albums?!
I'd finally play a couple of them if I were you! :D

Dammit! My reading comprehension stinks! I think I have 2 I haven’t opened yet :D