AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MC-275mkiv vs MC-2102 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52830)

JDCheek 02-16-2024 12:47 PM

MC-275mkiv vs MC-2102

I have owned the MC-275 since 2007 and have had several different preamps along the way. I’m currently using C-2700 that I’ve had a couple years and I really like it. Originally thinking I would upgrade the MC-275 to the latest version, vi, understanding that it is much better than the Mkiv. However, I found a MC-2102 in really great condition and pulled the trigger. It fits better in my setup and the meters are a plus. Since they were made in the same era, some engineering would be similar. The reviews, at least back in 2001, were very good. A cheaper, lighter MC-2000 of sorts. Would love to hear others thoughts on what I might expect prior to getting this installed compared to the latest MC-275.

Formerly YB-2 02-16-2024 01:03 PM

Tried a 2102 when I listened to the 275MkIV (one) and then a pair as monoblocks. To my ears the SQ of the single 275 in stereo was best, followed by a pair. I subsequently got a pair of the new MC75s, which was the best of the lot. The 2102 was not something I kept after about a month (went back to the single 275). Are you able to audition before purchase? I was dealing with Frank Gow at Audio Classics, so was only out shipping costs. Obviously, YMMV.

FreddieFerric 02-16-2024 05:51 PM

I've heard from multiple McIntosh owners that the MC75's are by far the best solution for sub 100 watt per channel McIntosh tube amps. If you can find a good condition pair, snap them up.

JDCheek 02-17-2024 06:39 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I'm a bit disappointed that there is no favor for the 2102. Certainly, part of my decision to go this route was the design that fits my furniture much better. Although not a reason for the change, I like having the meters.

I’ll try these and if disappointed, will -probably go back with the version 6 MC275.

McMan 02-18-2024 11:57 AM

The MC2102 is a beautiful piece and is often unavailable and in good condition. You might want to consider simply listening for yourself and basing any decision on your perspective of the music and design. If you love it, great; if not, you can move on. I think this unit would be relatively easy to sell.

I wish Mc would make an updated version of this design. I would buy one.

PeterMusic 02-18-2024 12:20 PM

I love my MC275 and I assume the sound is better than the 2102. But the 275 form factor is a pain, and I would appreciate the extra power. So I'll be in line with McMan if they update the 2102

piolaxo 02-18-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMan (Post 1080995)
The MC2102 is a beautiful piece and is often unavailable and in good condition. You might want to consider simply listening for yourself and basing any decision on your perspective of the music and design. If you love it, great; if not, you can move on. I think this unit would be relatively easy to sell.

I wish Mc would make an updated version of this design. I would buy one.

I love the looks of the MC2102 - it has a timeless design. You can also try
different tubes and see if there is even more enjoyment. I agree with this
you can listen to it for a while and decide for yourself.

Charles 02-18-2024 04:02 PM

I don't think that Mac is going to update the 2102 or the 2301. If you are waiting for either you will be disappointed. My Mac friend who is a senior engineer at Mac says there is no electrical or mechanical reason for a bridged MC275 sounding worse than the stereo version. In practical terms the bridged mono version provides more watts and you need those extra watts with many speakers. However, the best solution is to buy a MC1502 which is a thoroughly updated Mac all tube design.

In regards to the 2102 I believe that it is a matter of taste and matching to your speakers. I would not hesitate to buy one based on negative antidotal opinions. It's a Sydney Corderman design based on the MC2000. It has a smaller power supply and fewer watts but is basically a scaled down MC2000. I hope that you will audition the MC2102.

Best

Charles

FreddieFerric 02-19-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMan (Post 1080995)
...You might want to consider simply listening for yourself and basing any decision on your perspective of the music and design. If you love it, great; if not, you can move on.

Agreed 100%. Final evaluation always rests with the owners own ears.

PeterMusic 02-19-2024 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1081003)
I don't think that Mac is going to update the 2102 or the 2301. If you are waiting for either you will be disappointed. My Mac friend who is a senior engineer at Mac says there is no electrical or mechanical reason for a bridged MC275 sounding worse than the stereo version. In practical terms the bridged mono version provides more watts and you need those extra watts with many speakers. However, the best solution is to buy a MC1502 which is a thoroughly updated Mac all tube design.

I agree that those upgrades are unlikely. I would love an MC1502 powering a pair of Wilson Sashas or Alexias, but my wife insists on small speakers and hidden amps. There's no way I can hide an MC1502--too big, too much heat. I am thinking about putting an MC275 on either of my Salamander cabinet, but probably kind of over the top for my TuneTots...