AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Opinion on The Esoteric N-05 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49624)

andreantunes 03-04-2021 02:21 PM

Opinion on The Esoteric N-05

Hi everyone,
Greetings from Lisbon, Portugal.
My system is modest and it sits on a family living room.
I have a Plinius Hautonga integrated amp, Monitor Audio Platinum PL200II speakers. The main source for 95% of my music is my Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, heavily modified streamer. The rest comes from my TT.
My plan for the upcoming months/years would be to go for an Esoteric K-03 (current version) to listen to my CD’s and use as a better DAC for the streamer.
But most of the music I listen is in fact stored in my NAS or Tidal Hifi. All my CDs are ripped in uncompressed WAV and I also have a large collection of hi-rez files.
So it maybe made more sense to go for the N-05.
Would love to read your opinions!

Thanks
Andre

cleeds 03-04-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreantunes (Post 1034058)
... The main source for 95% of my music is my Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, heavily modified streamer. The rest comes from my TT.
My plan for the upcoming months/years would be to go for an Esoteric K-03 ...
But most of the music I listen is in fact stored in my NAS or Tidal Hifi ...
So it maybe made more sense to go for the N-05 ...

Out of curiosity: How did you modify your 851N?

2fastdriving 03-04-2021 05:43 PM

The K-03XD will have a far better dac than the N-05, so they aren't really apples to apples.

If you want to go full streamer, stretch a little and get the N-01XD. That's even better than the K-03XD. Too bad they don't make a N-03XD!

But if you want to use your current streamer and keep a spinner around as an option, then the K-03XD is a good idea. It's just not ideal to use USB compared to a network input, but that's splitting hairs really.

andreantunes 03-04-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1034061)
Out of curiosity: How did you modify your 851N?

Hi!
In the power supply I upgraded all capacitors, diodes and voltage regulator to Sparkos discrete.
In the audio board and DAC also replaced all caps (used Elna silmic II, Nichicon BP and Fine Gold and KW dependi g on the usage). Also upgraded the 10 voltage regulators to Sparkos discretes. Replaced stock RCA to WBT ag). Power cable is also not stock.
Difference from the stock unit is huge, in detail, timming, silence, soundstage, texture.

andreantunes 03-04-2021 06:31 PM

The local Esoteric dealer (also Pass Labs, Monitor Audio, Plinius) is a good friend. I actually have the possibility to listen and compare both. Also maybe try them here at home.

cleeds 03-04-2021 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreantunes (Post 1034081)
Hi!
In the power supply I upgraded all capacitors, diodes and voltage regulator to Sparkos discrete.
In the audio board and DAC also replaced all caps (used Elna silmic II, Nichicon BP and Fine Gold and KW dependi g on the usage). Also upgraded the 10 voltage regulators to Sparkos discretes. Replaced stock RCA to WBT ag). Power cable is also not stock.
Difference from the stock unit is huge, in detail, timming, silence, soundstage, texture.

Whoa - that's a lotta work!

PedroS 03-05-2021 04:57 AM

Hi Andre

Please go check compatibility with Esoteric. They are fantastic units, but those days home servers and compatibility are not yet there...
I had, I believe, from the same source, an K-03xd, to pair with Aurender N20, and I have my share of compatibility issues. Now all solved until DSD256 (the SACD player does that DoP), just remaining the DSD512. Note that everything should be ok from both specifications...
I had too your streamer, and after your upgrade, I believe you have made better an already good one.

wklie 03-05-2021 12:58 PM

Typical USB sample rate specifications are only for Windows.

Linux DSD compatibility among streamer - DAC are basically impossible to list.

Mac OS does not even have native DSD (with a few exceptions).

These are true not only for Esoteric, but for *all* DSD512 USB DAC in the market.

That's one of the reasons why I'm here, to answer questions about compatibility of Esoteric models and their network operations (same with N series and Lumin).

andreantunes 03-05-2021 05:16 PM

My main goal is to play files from my NAS. Most of them are uncompressed WAVs, 24/192 Flacs and DSD64.
Regarding the upgrade on my 851N I spent many hours and studying a lot. The overall cost of replacing some 70-80 components was around USD600. Some had to replaced more than once. It was a labour of love and patience but the outcome and surprising. I took it to my Esoteric dealer and he was impressed. Sounds really good but it’s still far away from an Esoteric. But I would say it sounds like a USD 4.500 streamer now. Pretty happy with for the time.
Good weekend everyone!
Andre

andreantunes 03-09-2021 06:29 AM

On a quick update, the Esoteric dealer suggested that I would be good with my current streamer and go for a K-07Xs, adding an external clock later. This would be - in his opinion which I value - a better option than going for the N-05 or the K-05Xs alone.
In the upcoming weeks I will borrow the K07 and N05 and test in my system for a few days.