AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Had my hearing tested (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48675)

Garytn 09-20-2020 10:25 AM

Had my hearing tested

I had a hearing test at an ENT by an audiologist. Here’s what I was told. For my age (ahem!) my mid and high range hearing is extraordinary. My low frequency hearing is poor. He said the low range hearing was probably something I have lived with for years, perhaps since birth.
So, for an old guy like me, good upper and mid hearing and poor low range hearing is an anomaly. All that got me to thinking about how we can get so entrenched in how one speaker sounds “right” and another sounds “wrong”. In fact, most of us do not have a perfectly flat hearing response (according to this Dr). So, wouldn’t it makes sense that we’re hearing things a bit differently?
Add to that, our personal preferences on what sounds good, and it’s easy to see how we can like different things. Something to think about as we debate one speaker v. another.
Oh well, just waxing philosophically this Sunday morning. Either that or too much coffee.

edkoz 09-20-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garytn (Post 1015029)
I had a hearing test at an ENT by an audiologist. Here’s what I was told. For my age (ahem!) my mid and high range hearing is extraordinary. My low frequency hearing is poor. He said the low range hearing was probably something I have lived with for years, perhaps since birth.
So, for an old guy like me, good upper and mid hearing and poor low range hearing is an anomaly. All that got me to thinking about how we can get so entrenched in how one speaker sounds “right” and another sounds “wrong”. In fact, most of us do not have a perfectly flat hearing response (according to this Dr). So, wouldn’t it makes sense that we’re hearing things a bit differently?
Add to that, our personal preferences on what sounds good, and it’s easy to see how we can like different things. Something to think about as we debate one speaker v. another.
Oh well, just waxing philosophically this Sunday morning. Either that or too much coffee.

I agree :yes:

Masterlu 09-20-2020 10:46 AM

Sounds about right to me... ;)

https://blogs.cdn.medel.com/blog.med...aring-Loss.jpg

PHC1 09-20-2020 11:05 AM

What is the normal range of hearing loss?

Mild hearing loss: 25 to 40 dB higher than normal. Moderate hearing loss: 40 to 55 dB higher than normal. Moderate-to-severe hearing loss: 55 to 70 dB higher than normal. Severe hearing loss: 70 to 90 dB higher than normal.

Approximately 15% of American adults (37.5 million) aged 18 and over report some trouble hearing.

Age-related hearing loss (presbycusis) is the loss of hearing that gradually occurs in most of us as we grow older. It is one of the most common conditions affecting older and elderly adults.

Approximately one in three people in the United States between the ages of 65 and 74 has hearing loss, and nearly half of those older than 75 have difficulty hearing.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control estimates that nearly 15% of the general public — over 50 million Americans — experience some form of tinnitus. Roughly 20 million people struggle with burdensome chronic tinnitus, while 2 million have extreme and debilitating cases.

Age is the strongest predictor of hearing loss among adults aged 20-69, with the greatest amount of hearing loss in the 60 to 69 age group.

Men are almost twice as likely as women to have hearing loss among adults aged 20-69.

Participating in "I can hear a difference in a copper cable with less than 99.999% purity" and "this strand geometry does not make my ears happy" is absolutely priceless.... :yes:

Zelkop 09-20-2020 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Based on the attached table, should I be worrying about a "dip around 19.5kHz" and "non-quad core construction" in my headphone cable? :music: I am 58.

PHC1 09-20-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelkop (Post 1015078)
Based on the attached table, should I be worrying about a "dip around 19.5kHz" and "non-quad core construction" in my headphone cable? :music: I am 58.

Yep, the over 15KHz end of the spectrum has been a mystery to me for nearly a decade now and I’m in my 50’s. :D

Masterlu 09-20-2020 05:15 PM

The older I get, the more I love my subs. :p

PHC1 09-20-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1015081)

:lmao:

bart 09-20-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1015081)

:lmao: good one Ivan!

Zelkop 09-20-2020 05:38 PM

Hahaha