AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo Corton Charlemagne Q (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9519)

omodo 08-23-2011 12:45 AM

looks like the 70W rating is at 16 ohms and not 8

edit: unless they are assuming your 4 ohm speaker will dip to 2 ohm and rating it as such

Jerome W 08-23-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 196015)
Jerome, this dip of power in 4 ohm is a surprise to me too. Do you know if the Corton Charlemagne 80 or the Lafon GM70 will have similar dip in 4 ohm?

No I don't Tommy.

cmalak 08-23-2011 10:50 AM

Jerome...I am surprised by the drop in power output. Usually, tube amps output the same power into different loads. With SS amps, the power output typically increased into lower loads (well designed SS amps usually double the output as the load increases by 2x, so going from 16ohm load to 8ohm or from 8ohm to 4ohm load is a doubling of the load at each step - as you go down, the load increases). So the Shindo CCQ is 70wpc into an 8ohm load but drops down to 17wpc into 4ohm load, that is very interesting. :scratch2:

Jerome W 08-23-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 196151)
Jerome...I am surprised by the drop in power output. Usually, tube amps output the same power into different loads. With SS amps, the power output typically increased into lower loads (well designed SS amps usually double the output as the load increases by 2x, so going from 16ohm load to 8ohm or from 8ohm to 4ohm load is a doubling of the load at each step - as you go down, the load increases). So the Shindo CCQ is 70wpc into an 8ohm load but drops down to 17wpc into 4ohm load, that is very interesting. :scratch2:

Yes Cyril, very surprising.
Probably that's why Matt keeps mentioning that with Shindo amps, ones need efficient speakers and a stable 8 ohm.
I thought that I would be ok with 70 W but 17 W is an other story !

metaphacts 08-27-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 194904)
Guarneri Evolution with Shindo?? Do post pictures!

Sorry no pics but I had a wonderful visit with Art to set up Guarneri Evolution. Art is just a wonderful person and he and his family were lovely hosts. We shared a great bottle of wine and a fine dinner.

I can tell you a few things:

The Shindo system, as expected was a beautiful sounding complement to the Guarneri.

Power output was insufficient for many of the things that Evolution can do. If you stayed well within the boundaries though..:thumbsup:

Art is going to see if he can get bigger Shindos to try on the Guarneris. If he does I will find an excuse to be there to hear them :D

Now all I have to figure out is which color my wife will prefer.

http://static3.wine-searcher.net/ima...y-10153945.jpg

Okay 1 pic. The wine, like the speakers, Italian. :D

TommyC 08-27-2011 10:46 PM

Thanks Bill for the update.

Which Shindo amp were you listening too? Hopefully the Corton Charlemagne 80 and Corton Charlemagne Q (both 70W) or the Corton Lafon GM70 (20W SET) will drive the Guarneri much better?? I don't listen very loud :D

metaphacts 08-27-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 198056)
Thanks Bill for the update.

Which Shindo amp were you listening too? Hopefully the Corton Charlemagne 80 and Corton Charlemagne Q (both 70W) or the Corton Lafon GM70 (20W SET) will drive the Guarneri much better?? I don't listen very loud :D

What might be really interesting would be to bi amp with 2 pair of CCs. :tresbon:

The I don't listen very loud myth we should address in another non gear specific thread.

FranklinLG 10-29-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat
If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...

Ok, I'll bite... Why? I have a pair of zu essence, and while they're nice, I'm not moved by them. Great value, but not great speaker. And let's not forget zu now has its "mortgage", I mean dominance speaker...

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado

FranklinLG 12-11-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194223)
If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...

As a follow-up to my prior post on this subject, I just want to say NOOOOOOOOOOO, don't do it! Don't, do it! As nice as a Zu can be it's out of its league with the Shindo or a Leben. You won't realize your equipment's potential, and will become frustrated - spoken as a Zu Essence owner, who's about to move these speakers since I now have my DeVore Orangutans. Ive had both a Leben RS100U with Sophia Electric 300B monos and Shindo Massetto Cortese run through both speakers. It was so obvious that the Zu's shackled the equipment.

KenSea 01-10-2012 09:27 PM

Class A Amps

Interesting that Shindo states wattage in 8 ohm and class A. Is he saying the output stage is running in class A and is this to stated max. wattage?
I Would appreciate clarification on this subject. Do his amps run really hot?

Thanks,
Ken