AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Racks & Furniture (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Review of the Salamander Jumpseat (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37953)

Pampero 12-12-2016 01:25 PM

Review of the Salamander Jumpseat

My initial inquiry regarding the Jumpseat suggested that apart from Ivan's prodigious knowledge, this item seems to be little known. I ordered a pair through my local dealer and we've had them for a few days. For anybody contemplating this solution, here's a mini review.

These convertible ottomans are well built in the style of modern production furniture, which is to say you won't mistake them for heirlooms, but they are sturdy and structurally sound. The mechanisms by which the chair backs are raised are well implemented and equally well designed rendering the conversion from hassock to chair easily accomplished. The springs and hinges are heavy duty items, well weighted and smooth operating. The leather is a commercial grade top grain product. Actual seating surfaces are covered in a matching velour fabric of good quality. All edges and bindings are tucked under for a neat appearance and the machine stitching looks strong and durable, although the seams themselves wander a bit. I didn't expect hardwood frames and you don't get them in this product. Frames and all other solid pieces are made of a multi-layer composite wood material.

The seats are supplied with wooden feet but a set of casters is also included. To install the casters, which we opted to do, the wooden feet are removed and the casters are mounted to backing blocks at each corner using four 3/4" wood screws. The holes for the caster are not predrilled so a bit of care needs to be taken to make sure you don't miss the backing blocks at the corners when screwing them in. The casters themselves are probably the least impressive part of the package and look like low cost plastic items. I've had mixed results with casters that look like these before, but if they fail in service I'll either remount the wooden feet or replace the wheels with higher quality items.

The seats themselves, while not intended to replace your favorite easy chair, are comfortable, have notably good lumbar support and will suit their purposes for us. They work fine as ottomans, look good, and perfectly match the height of our sofa. When they're not being used as extra seating, they make a generously sized piece to kick back and land your feet on, and they look good too. The leather surfaces spring back after use and remain tight looking with a smooth appearance.

I looked high and low for a less expensive solution to this common problem but the Jumpseats seem to be unique in the market. How long will they last? I can't say but I expect to have them for many years. If you need versatile, compact, easily moved and stored spare seating in your media room, don't mind the price of entry and don't fancy the humiliation of making your guests sit on nasty folding director's chairs or the floor, the Jumpseats are a unique solution to this common problem.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pspbprqnvk.jpg
Jumpseat as deployed. Note cup holder and generous cubby for remotes, used candy wrappers your iPhone!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscaplvlnr.jpg
Here's a view of the underside. The scrim is attached with staples as is typical of commercial grade modern furniture but you don't see it once the ottoman is placed right side up so no harm, no foul. Note casters. The hole in the scrim is from the wooden leg that the furniture is shipped with and is removed prior to caster installation.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps8do9e9sh.jpg

In use!

chessman 12-12-2016 01:31 PM

That is slick. Congrats!

nicoff 12-12-2016 01:58 PM

Interesting, but no go for me. WAF=no go. Thanks for sharing !

tutomac 12-12-2016 02:08 PM

Unrelated but nice speakers...

jdandy 12-12-2016 02:29 PM

Lew.......I enjoyed your review. The Salamander Jumpseat looks like a good solution to extra seating that is dual purpose and hidden when not needed. Thanks for letting us know about this interesting product.

Pampero 12-12-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 819409)
Interesting, but no go for me. WAF=no go. Thanks for sharing !

I appreciate your comment and fully understand it. This is my own dedicated room. It's set up specifically for two channel listening but also doubles for movies. I didn't want theater seating per se even though the room could accommodate that. I prefer it to be casual and suitable for conversation but also acoustically correct. That means only low soft (not reflective) coverings between me and the speakers. These can be moved around easily and deployed in a versatile fashion when required.

In civilian/mufti mode, they're just ottomans that sit in front of the sofa or at the side of the room. When deployed for action, they are indeed what they are, We'll roll them behind the sofa (which has a lower back) when we expect guests (usually our kids) to watch movies or listen to music. Or, they can be turned to face the sofa for conversation. As mentioned, they can be pushed to the side walls, stored behind the sofa, what have you. We do like them just used as ottomans for cuddling when listening to Johnny Mathis.(LOL!, HAHA, :D and age appropriate reference!). Pushed to the corners, they could be bass traps (:D). Mainly they provide low profile extra seating and are easy to relocate. I agree they're a pretty specific solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 819407)
That is slick. Congrats!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 819410)
Unrelated but nice speakers...

Haha! We like 'em! A lot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 819417)
Lew.......I enjoyed your review. The Salamander Jumpseat looks like a good solution to extra seating that is dual purpose and hidden when not needed. Thanks for letting us know about this interesting product.

They are unique, Dan. Thanks!

Crunchyriff 10-28-2017 04:24 PM

I'm learning more every visit here. Very cool solution!!!

JFB 10-29-2017 01:53 PM

Thanks for sharing, nice product!