AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MC500 quit on me (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52081)

r042wal 03-10-2023 12:18 PM

MC500 quit on me

Last night my wife and I were watching TV and the sound that goes through my McIntosh system stopped. I have a C48 preamp to an MC500 amp. The preamp seems to work fine because the RCA-2 output feeds my Shitts headphone amp and that works fine. The headphone jack on the preamp works fine too.

We never drive the amp hard, maybe 18% - 25%. It has worked flawlessly since I have owned it.

I unplugged everything last night and plugged it back in this morning. When I turn it on the amp makes a transformer / capacitor surge/charge noise very briefly which it has always done. Today there is very minimal sound out of the speakers. At 48% it is very weak and very unclear.

I am in Owen Sound in Ontario. I have reached out to three authorized repair facilities in Richmond Hill, Toronto and London but not heard from anyone. I am recovering from tongue cancer surgery so I am not the easiest to understand on the phone compared to face to face.

The amp weighs 114 lbs so it is not easy getting it from A to B. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

cleeds 03-10-2023 12:30 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. My best suggestion is to phone a local McIntosh dealer. Many (most?) are very customer service oriented and might be willing to pick up the amplifier and deliver it to the service center - where they probably already have a relationship anyway - and then return it back to you. It might be worth it even if they charge a modest fee.

I wish for you the best.

r042wal 03-10-2023 09:43 PM

Found an authorized repair outlet in Toronto. Taking it in Monday afternoon. :-)

Masterlu 03-10-2023 10:47 PM

Keep us posted.

Banter 03-10-2023 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1072604)
Found an authorized repair outlet in Toronto. Taking it in Monday afternoon. :-)

Is that the guy who lives in an apartment building and will meet you in the underground garage?

I did not have a good experience with him.

r042wal 03-11-2023 10:20 PM

Roger Sherman in North York listed as R Service on the McIntosh web site as an authorized repair centre. If that rings a bell, would you care to share your experience?

Thanks

Banter 03-12-2023 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1072640)
Roger Sherman in North York listed as R Service on the McIntosh web site as an authorized repair centre. If that rings a bell, would you care to share your experience?

Thanks

My MCD600 was with him for many months. Did not give me any paperwork upon receipt and I thought it will be all resolved in a few days. Stopped returning phone calls. When I eventually cornered him, he said they keep sending him wrong parts! May not be his fault, but looks like McIntosh service dept do not have much respect for him. Took it to another dealer and got it fixed within couple of weeks.
I feel Roger should have kept me informed or at least answer my calls/emails!

I had other issues with MC611 mono amps and the McIntosh service rep from London ONT. came over to my house and resolved the problem. Actually made the house call!
So McIntosh service quality seems to depend on the individual service reps.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Masterlu 03-12-2023 11:47 PM

One of my pet peeves; Customer Service seems to have become a lost art. :rolleyes:

r042wal 03-13-2023 07:30 AM

Well I appreciate the info and it's interesting how important your reputation is and how it can follow you around.

As luck would have it, Eric in London called me yesterday. As it turns out, I have a Dr. apt in London on Tuesday aft so I am going to be dropping my amp off to him an hour before.

Even though it will be a 3 hr. drive to go pick it up, a drive to Toronto and back is 4 hrs., plus I had to go to London anyway. Win, win!

Again, thanks for the heads up!

Banter 03-14-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1072695)
Well I appreciate the info and it's interesting how important your reputation is and how it can follow you around.

As luck would have it, Eric in London called me yesterday. As it turns out, I have a Dr. apt in London on Tuesday aft so I am going to be dropping my amp off to him an hour before.

Even though it will be a 3 hr. drive to go pick it up, a drive to Toronto and back is 4 hrs., plus I had to go to London anyway. Win, win!

Again, thanks for the heads up!

Eric is a world class gentleman! Give him my fond regards from Burlington.