AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   REL Carbon Special (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50658)

btn2803 12-13-2021 05:14 PM

REL Carbon Special
 
I took the plunge and ordered 2 RELs Carbon Special :banana:

I plan to follow REL's instructions of hooking these up via High Level Input to each of the MC611s, and XLR LFE input to the 2 Marantz 8805 sub outs.

Does any of you have similar hook up in their system with the Carbon Special who can share their insights (Dos / Donts)?

I reached out to McIntosh (Chuck Hinton) and he initially recommended to hook up the REL via Low Level RCA inputs to the preamp variable outs and did not recommend using the speaker level connection on MC611. I then sent him the note published by REL on the preferred method of connecting to monoblocs using high level input, and he replied in his email that either approach is ok, and it's up to me to decide.

I wonder if anyone of you have first hand experience on either approach, and what is the best way to connect the RELs to the MC611s and 8805A surround processor. Any guidance is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

bart 12-13-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 1050865)
I took the plunge and ordered 2 RELs Carbon Special :banana:

I plan to follow REL's instructions of hooking these up via High Level Input to each of the MC611s, and XLR LFE input to the 2 Marantz 8805 sub outs.

Does any of you have similar hook up in their system with the Carbon Special who can share their insights (Dos / Donts)?

I reached out to McIntosh (Chuck Hinton) and he initially recommended to hook up the REL via Low Level RCA inputs to the preamp variable outs and did not recommend using the speaker level connection on MC611. I then sent him the note published by REL on the preferred method of connecting to monoblocs using high level input, and he replied in his email that either approach is ok, and it's up to me to decide.

I wonder if anyone of you have first hand experience on either approach, and what is the best way to connect the RELs to the MC611s and 8805A surround processor. Any guidance is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Many thanks.


Hi, you'll be very pleased with your new pair!
The most important upgrade of our system we made the last years.

For stereo, the high level input is preferred. That is what our dealer suggested (and he's REL's favourite dealer of my country). I was surprised that we only had to dial the volume at +/- 25%. I think we ended at about 35-37 Hz.

For surround, we went with RCA-cables from our Marantz 8802A sub outs.

It's all working very well, you don't hear the subs (until you turn them off!), you just feel them (at high volumes).

Good luck!


PS. There was only one negative: we had to wait 4 months...

Antonmb 12-13-2021 06:25 PM

Excellent choice. I have a single Carbon Special, also connected via high level from my D’Agostino Momentum S250. This is my 6th REL over the years, with a variety of amps, and I’ve always used the high level inputs except for surround use, then low level from the theatre processor.

btn2803 12-13-2021 06:28 PM

Thank you Tony and Bart.

and thanks for confirming that you are hooking these up via High level cables. I can't wait and hope it will arrive next week. It will be a fantastic Christmas :thumbsup:

Weirdcuba 12-13-2021 07:58 PM

Ditto. 2 different sets of RELs with high level inputs. Not with McIntosh amplifiers, but great results (and super easy to dial in).

JoeN 12-13-2021 08:02 PM

Awesome. Please give us a full report after they break-in.

btn2803 12-13-2021 08:48 PM

Thank you all. Will report back once received and dialed in.

Grasshopper 12-14-2021 01:06 AM

I’m just trying to learn more about REL. the idea of the 6 pack intrigues me.

So - from what I gather on this thread, you connect REL sub with a small wire that comes off your amp (while your speaker cables also go from the amp to the mains-

And then you connect either RCA or XLR from your video processor at the same time?

In other words, when listening in two channel, the subs are activated from the high level, but then when watching a movie, they play from the LFE out on your processor?

W9TR 12-14-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1050896)
I’m just trying to learn more about REL. the idea of the 6 pack intrigues me.

So - from what I gather on this thread, you connect REL sub with a small wire that comes off your amp (while your speaker cables also go from the amp to the mains-

And then you connect either RCA or XLR from your video processor at the same time?

In other words, when listening in two channel, the subs are activated from the high level, but then when watching a movie, they play from the LFE out on your processor?

Correct, that is the REL recommendation. Speaker level connection for the mains, line level for LFE. Set your processor front speakers to large so the subs and mains get full range signals.

With amps whose (-) terminal is not at ground, you either leave the ground wire floating or connect it to a chassis ground screw.

jmw31 12-14-2021 10:05 AM

I was looking at REL's. This is the response I go from customer service regarding mono blocks:

"Thank you for your interest in REL. If planning to use a single REL with monoblocks, you must use a low level RCA connection via the preamp instead of high level.
If connecting a pair of REL's via high level to the MC2301's, the BLACK wire should be left disconnected from a negative speaker terminal. You would connect the RED and YELLOW wires of each sub to the 8 ohm positive tap on each amp for best output.
Please let us know if there is anything else at all that we can assist with, and thank you again for considering our products."

btn2803 12-14-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmw31 (Post 1050914)
I was looking at REL's. This is the response I go from customer service regarding mono blocks:

"Thank you for your interest in REL. If planning to use a single REL with monoblocks, you must use a low level RCA connection via the preamp instead of high level.
If connecting a pair of REL's via high level to the MC2301's, the BLACK wire should be left disconnected from a negative speaker terminal. You would connect the RED and YELLOW wires of each sub to the 8 ohm positive tap on each amp for best output.
Please let us know if there is anything else at all that we can assist with, and thank you again for considering our products."


Thanks. Per REL, if there is hum, you can connect the black wire to the bolt/screw in the chassis of each of the monoblocks.

btn2803 12-14-2021 12:15 PM

The REL comes with standard High Level Cable. Did anyone upgrade this standard High Level cable, and if so, is it worth it? The high level cable I am considering is the Analysis Plus cable ($149 for each 3 meter-cable). Any thought on this cable, or more expensive high level cable such as Bassline Blue?

Thanks!

Weirdcuba 12-14-2021 01:32 PM

I upgraded with a used pair of bassline blue to good effect. Not sure if it was worth retail, but fine for used pricing.

btn2803 12-14-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1050934)
I upgraded with a used pair of bassline blue to good effect. Not sure if it was worth retail, but fine for used pricing.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

KahunaCanuck 12-15-2021 08:59 PM

I'm running the line array of 812s (6), using the bassline Blue upgraded cords...I connect them off the speaker terminal itself and it works great...then daisy chain the array. I am still fiddling with tuning, but the effect is incredible so far. Can not leave them turned off any more!!

Grasshopper 12-16-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1051056)
I'm running the line array of 812s (6), using the bassline Blue upgraded cords...I connect them off the speaker terminal itself and it works great...then daisy chain the array. I am still fiddling with tuning, but the effect is incredible so far. Can not leave them turned off any more!!



I want to see a picture of that setup!!!

btn2803 12-16-2021 07:40 PM

Just got the email that the 2 Carbon special subs I ordered last week are shipped :banana: On REL website the Carbon Special is "Out of Stock", so very happy to have these ordered while in stock! It will be a busy Xmas setting these up :banana::music:

btw, I got the email from REL today that price increase on existing products will be effective on Jan 15th 2022.

KahunaCanuck 12-18-2021 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1051089)
I want to see a picture of that setup!!!

Need to take more pix! Sorry, don't know how to resize this...

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1639856805

Antonmb 12-18-2021 04:07 PM

REL Carbon Special
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1051281)
Need to take more pix! Sorry, don't know how to resize this...




What an awesome setup. The neighbors must love you[emoji41]

JemHadar 12-18-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1051281)
Need to take more pix! Sorry, don't know how to resize this...



https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1639856805


Thanks for sharing this picture.

Are those Stenheim Alumine Three’s?

How would you describe their performance…thx

KahunaCanuck 12-18-2021 04:47 PM

They are the Alumine 3s, I came from Wilson Sabrinas and still have them, so I plan to do a side by side to do a true comparison. What I would say about these is that they are realistic without being sharp, very smooth from top to bottom and cast a big sound stage. They have a beautiful build quality as well.

JemHadar 12-18-2021 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1051293)
They are the Alumine 3s, I came from Wilson Sabrinas and still have them, so I plan to do a side by side to do a true comparison. What I would say about these is that they are realistic without being sharp, very smooth from top to bottom and cast a big sound stage. They have a beautiful build quality as well.


Thank You

Please do share your findings when you get around to it.

Enjoy your awesome system in good health

rszk 12-20-2021 02:43 PM

Wow beautiful setup Kahuna! I have a dual S812 setup, was wondering about this. How much AC power to your room to accomplish this setup?

Thanks

Weirdcuba 12-20-2021 10:15 PM

I note the Dartzeel preamp. What amps are running that (sorry if I missed it in the photos). Great looking and sounding set up - congratulations.

Grasshopper 12-20-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1051281)
Need to take more pix! Sorry, don't know how to resize this...



https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1639856805



I LOVE it!!!

KahunaCanuck 12-21-2021 06:46 PM

The Dart is an integrated...200 watts @ 8 ohms, lots of power for these speakers as they are 93 db efficient.

Thanks for the comments guys, I will do a new system post shortly...need to clean up the cables etc.

Levitator 12-21-2021 07:09 PM

Beautiful room and system!

j3brow 12-22-2021 02:56 PM

REL Carbon Special
 
3 Attachment(s)
Another happy REL 6-pack owner here, s/812. Center and rear subs are s/510 Attachment 66257Attachment 66258Attachment 66259

Weirdcuba 12-22-2021 03:16 PM

This is not good for me to see. Not good at all.

bart 12-22-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1051555)
This is not good for me to see. Not good at all.


Haha, I showed Meta the system above.
"Not in this life" she said.
I must say I'm already happy with my current pair.

Levitator 12-22-2021 06:11 PM

Nice work - love the room!

dkorbal 12-23-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1051555)
This is not good for me to see. Not good at all.

A pair of these just came up for sale on Agon. :lmao: :naughty: :whistle:

Grasshopper 04-13-2022 01:38 AM

Ok, I’m talking to my wife about upgrading our integrated amplifier upstairs, (going from D’agostino progression to momentum) and she says to me, I think I’d rather have a 6 pack downstairs!!!

Heck yes!

So now I’m in the shopping mode.

Questions to all you array owners:

Is the s/812 good enough x6? (I love the price point—-I’m just used to the deep bass from my f113v2 fathoms.

Are they hard to dial in? (Seeing that they only have a phase switch {vs a knob like JL offers} I’m intimidated at blending with mains {unless I position them in the same plane as my mains}).

Assuming I use the high level output from my amp—and daisy chain the stacked subs, how do you make the most of 2 channel…and LFE in mixed systems? (Im still not clear on if you hook up high level AND balanced or RCA at the same time. In other words,in 2 channel mode- signal feeding is the high level, and when watching a movie- processor is on and feeds the balanced or rca to the array (with both connections always connected).

Any help would be appreciated.

bart 04-13-2022 08:48 AM

I've heard a sixpack of JL Audio F113s. It was also excellent.
That's another possible route.

Grasshopper 04-13-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1059024)
I've heard a sixpack of JL Audio F113s. It was also excellent.
That's another possible route.



That was my original plan.

Glad to hear it sounded great!

I’d love to see pictures of that setup for sure.

Masterlu 04-13-2022 10:45 PM

A six pack of F113’s is trumped by a pair of Gotham’s. I have tried them both and, chose the Gotham’s. I find it looks better too.

Grasshopper 04-13-2022 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1059036)
A six pack of F113’s is trumped by a pair of Gotham’s. I have tried them both and, chose the Gotham’s. I find it looks better too.



My appeal to stacking them 3 high (times 2) was to have different crossover settings as they got higher to try and capture air and other subtle sounds.

In the six pack of f113s you tried were they stacked and configured that way?

Masterlu 04-13-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1059038)
My appeal to stacking them 3 high (times 2) was to have different crossover settings as they got higher to try and capture air and other subtle sounds.

In the six pack of f113s you tried were they stacked and configured that way?

Stacked, but all crossed over the same to match Aida’s. Different x/o smears the Bass badly.

Antonmb 04-14-2022 12:19 AM

Actually for their 6-packs (they call it a line array) REL recommends crossing over at progressively higher frequencies so each sub augments different frequencies. REL has really been the pioneer in this field. They have a very cool setup with the subs connected in series with a special cable. There’s a wealth of information on their site here: https://rel.net/rel-acoustics-subwoofer-line-arrays/

Grasshopper 04-14-2022 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1059040)
Actually for their 6-packs (they call it a line array) REL recommends crossing over at progressively higher frequencies so each sub augments different frequencies. REL has really been the pioneer in this field. They have a very cool setup with the subs connected in series with a special cable. There’s a wealth of information on their site here: https://rel.net/rel-acoustics-subwoofer-line-arrays/



This is what I want to “try” (be it fathoms or RELs) to see if I like it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.