AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   REL Carbon Special (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50658)

KahunaCanuck 04-19-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1059229)
OK, count me in as a Six Pack owner- I picked up a pair of like new S/812s locally on Saturday, bought a pair of 3 month old S/812s online the same day. And today, I ordered the final pair, along with the associated jumpers-----

Six Pack...here we come!!! (I hope I don't drive myself mad trying to get everything dialed in.

Nothing to worry about, you are already certifiable :D!!!

Congratulations, you are going to luv this!!!

bart 04-19-2022 04:25 PM

Looking forward to your experience!! :tresbon:

Grasshopper 04-20-2022 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 1059260)
Nothing to worry about, you are already certifiable :D!!!

Congratulations, you are going to luv this!!!

Thanks!

Did you hear a difference with the upgraded high level cable?

SCAudiophile 04-20-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big B (Post 1059250)
I just finished having my second JL 113 in for repairs. $1000 and month without my sub. Looking to replace JL with REL

A friend in STL recently had 5 out of 6 go bad in less than a year,...wound up sending all 6 back doing the 6th proactively to get rid of the issue before it occurred.

KahunaCanuck 04-28-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1059286)
Thanks!

Did you hear a difference with the upgraded high level cable?

I didn't do a real A/B test, but you only need two to your bottom subs, then the rest use the neutrick shorties (included) which I think are the upgraded cables as well. So I thought I might as well.

XCop5089 05-06-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1050875)
Excellent choice. I have a single Carbon Special, also connected via high level from my D’Agostino Momentum S250. This is my 6th REL over the years, with a variety of amps, and I’ve always used the high level inputs except for surround use, then low level from the theatre processor.

Hi Antonmb
I am a UK owner of a stereo pair of REL G2 subs, which I have used with both my CJ Premier 350SA power amp and my TAD M2500MKII power amp (each had to be connected differently, via the high level method, from the speaker outputs.
I have just bought a D'Agostino HD preamp and S250 MxV power amp and as you are also a user of REL subs with an S250 power amp, it would be very interesting to see a photo of how you connect the high level cable from the amp speaker terminals to the REL sub.
Thanks
Steve

miner 09-09-2022 12:19 PM

I will be buying a store demo Carbon Special with trade of my Sf Gravis II. I plan to give the Airship II wireless transmitter/receiver a try.

Antonmb 09-09-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCop5089 (Post 1060015)
Hi Antonmb
I am a UK owner of a stereo pair of REL G2 subs, which I have used with both my CJ Premier 350SA power amp and my TAD M2500MKII power amp (each had to be connected differently, via the high level method, from the speaker outputs.
I have just bought a D'Agostino HD preamp and S250 MxV power amp and as you are also a user of REL subs with an S250 power amp, it would be very interesting to see a photo of how you connect the high level cable from the amp speaker terminals to the REL sub.
Thanks
Steve

Hi XCop - sorry for the delay but I haven't been back to this thread in a while and I just saw your post. Unfortunately I can't show you any pics since I no longer have the sub (changed my speakers and determined that I no longer was benefiting from it). I can tell you that I did nothing special, just had spade connectors on the ends of the REL cable and added them to the amp posts with my speaker cables. Since the D'Ag is balanced, I floated the ground cable.

Antonmb 09-09-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 1066171)
I will be buying a store demo Carbon Special with trade of my Sf Gravis II. I plan to give the Airship II wireless transmitter/receiver a try.

Congrats Kevin, the Carbon is an outstanding sub - I loved mine.

miner 09-11-2022 07:37 PM

Thank you Tony. A prior owner thumbs up is the best review in my book.