AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Manley Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   New Manley Switching Power Supplies (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48622)

Steady339 09-11-2020 02:43 AM

New Manley Switching Power Supplies

Interesting video on the new superior sounding Manley switching power supplies:
https://youtu.be/tdYY_hoHj80

JemHadar 09-11-2020 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 1014238)
Interesting video on the new superior sounding Manley switching power supplies:
https://youtu.be/tdYY_hoHj80

Thx for posting

He he...Bruno Putzeys...why am I not surprised.

PHC1 09-11-2020 01:34 PM

A properly designed switching power supply is not a concern. There are some class D amplifiers out there that are excellent performers and a class D in essence is one big switching power supply :D

Puma Cat 09-11-2020 02:59 PM

Actually, it can be a concern; it certainly bears investigating, specifically with respect to high-source impedance leakage current.

So, my question for EvaAnna Manley, which I may write to her about is....do these SMPS output high-source impedance leakage current?

High-source impedance leakage current is to known travel down almost all sorts of cables and specifically adds additional noise on the ground plane of digital signals, which causes increased threshold jitter, which is audible.

Here's the problem with detecting High-source impedance leakage current: it was only discovered in Oct. 2017, and...you have to build very specialized test equipment even to detect it.

The question is: do these SMPS designed by Bruno output these leakage currents?

PHC1 09-11-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1014283)
Actually, it can be a concern; it certainly bears investigating, specifically with respect to high-source impedance leakage current.

So, my question for EvaAnna Manley, which I may write to her about is....do these SMPS output high-source impedance leakage current?

High-source impedance leakage current is to known travel down almost all sorts of cables and specifically adds additional noise on the ground plane of digital signals, which causes increased threshold jitter, which is audible.

Here's the problem with detecting High-source impedance leakage current: it was only discovered in Oct. 2017, and...you have to build very specialized test equipment even to detect it.

Sounds like Manley is using these in all their professional gear and recording mikes. I would think someone in the industry would hear it and question it but perhaps not. :D

JemHadar 09-11-2020 04:36 PM

New Manley Switching Power Supplies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1014283)

Why don’t you ask Bruno Putzeys directly...it shouldn’t be too hard to reach him through linkedin or Purifi. He is very approachable. Bart and I have had the good fortune of having spent the better part of a day with him...be prepared to have your brain melted though [emoji854]

I remember talking about power supplies with him...to summarise...a linear power supply, by its very nature, has it own set of problems. A well designed SMPS can certainly outperform a LPS.

The whole LPS vs SMPS thing is more something that lives in the minds of audiophiles, mostly fueled by persistent misinformation or lack of knowledge. I cannot speak for Bruno, but it was obvious he just goes for the best solution. Being the gentleman that he is, he politely sidesteps audiophile mythology with a witty or astute comment or observation...or he tackles it head on, like most recently the whole negative feedback thing.

IMHO...I think this a great move by Manley...bravo.

bart 09-11-2020 05:27 PM

'Our' Bruno is ubiquitous! :D

GeAllan70 09-11-2020 07:13 PM

:scratch2:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w

Steady339 09-11-2020 08:37 PM

Speaking of Bruno Putzey, has anyone heard the unique monitor speakers he designed, the Kii Audio 3 speakers?

Antonmb 09-11-2020 08:48 PM

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but there aren’t many Linnies here so I’m compelled to repeat it. Linn has been using switch mode power supplies successfully for many years. It’s in their Klimax streamer/dac, which doesn’t get as much recognition in “audiophile” circles but competes on an equal footing with the likes of dCS, Esoteric, etc. Just like the debate of vinyl vs digital, it’s not the specific technology, SMPS vs LPS, it’s in the implementation. If it’s Bruno’s implementation, I’m guessing it sounds fine.

clpetersen 09-11-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1014321)
...it’s not the specific technology, SMPS vs LPS, it’s in the implementation.... .

+1. There are folks, Linn among them, who understand and can implement SMPS successfully.

bart 09-12-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 1014320)
Speaking of Bruno Putzey, has anyone heard the unique monitor speakers he designed, the Kii Audio 3 speakers?

There you go:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46945

And here:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=47023&page=2

Steady339 09-14-2020 01:59 AM

bart, thanks for the links.

Puma Cat 09-14-2020 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1014328)
+1. There are folks, Linn among them, who understand and can implement SMPS successfully.

The question is, are these SMPS sending high-source impedance leakage current downstream?

Does Linn even know to measure high-source impedance leakage current?

(it's not obvious how to do this...)

Antonmb 09-14-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1014499)
The question is, are these SMPS sending high-source impedance leakage current downstream?

Does Linn even know to measure high-source impedance leakage current?

(it's not obvious how to do this...)

But Stephen, is it relevant if the sound quality is exceptional and noise level inaudible? It’s the end result that matters. Measurements are important, but they never tell the whole story. In the end it’s whether and how they impact the listening experience.

Puma Cat 09-14-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1014515)
But Stephen, is it relevant if the sound quality is exceptional and noise level inaudible? It’s the end result that matters. Measurements are important, but they never tell the whole story. In the end it’s whether and how they impact the listening experience.

Reall good points, Tony, and I agree with you. Measurements don't always tell the whole story.

Back in the day, lots of folks thought that transistors amps had "exceptional sound quality" and were superior to tube amps. But wait..why did I find a Dyna ST-70 to be more enjoyable and engaging than an H-K Citation 12?

So, what we thought of as "exceptional sound quality" is, we've found over the last 40years or so of high-end...is continually evolving.

We still have folks that believe that with respect to digital music, that "bits are bits", its just 0s and 1s; there's no way that an Ethernet cable (used to be USB cables, remember?) can impact sound quality. We now know this is to be B.S. And, it's not 0s and 1s in digital music reproduction; its analog voltages. We've found that "perfect sound forever" is simply not true.

The impact of high-source impedance leakage current causes increased noise on the ground plane, increased threshold jitter and timing errors in the flip-flops and PHYs in endpoints and the DAC chips themselves, and in the digital domain, timing errors in the nanosecond range is audible. High-source impedance leakage current are an intrinsic failure mode from SMPS.

For an in-depth white paper on this by John Swenson, who designed these digital chips in his professional career, check out this white paper: https://tinyurl.com/yylwak9b

Quoting John Swenson: "Most all network systems used with audio use switching supplies (SMPS) to power the digital devices, routers, switches, computers, etc. The high-source-impedance leakage current from the SMPS will travel through the network equipment, the Ethernet cables, the end-points, and into the DAC where they will create noise on the ground-plane, and thus jitter in the DAC circuitry. Leakage currents can also cause clock modulation in intermediate devices such as “streamers.”

I'm asking a really simple question: do they know about this failure mode from SMPS and are they mitigating it? Are they even measuring it? Because how to meausure it is not obvious, nor is it easy to do. And, it does have an impact on digital music reproduction.

kaarmstrong 09-14-2020 11:38 PM

Jeff Rowland uses SMPS in most of his amplifiers including his flagship. My personal experience is even his entry level amps are quieter than many amps using linear PS. Like many things in this industry, quality materials and implemention is key.

Antonmb 09-15-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1014608)

I'm asking a really simple question: do they know about this failure mode from SMPS and are they mitigating it? Are they even measuring it? Because how to meausure it is not obvious, nor is it easy to do. And, it does have an impact on digital music reproduction.

Stephen, I really don’t have an answer to your question, I don’t know if Linn is measuring leakage current. They have published a fair amount of information on their power supply designs which can be found through an internet search. I’m also sure Linn would respond to the question if asked. Having said that, I’m afraid the technical aspects are a bit beyond my grasp, I only know what I hear and what others have reported hearing - their systems sound great. Whatever they may or may not have done about measuring and addressing leakage current, either they’ve addressed it effectively, or it doesn’t have a meaningful impact in their equipment, or the other advantages they have created with their design offset it.

Puma Cat 09-15-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1014635)
Stephen, I really don’t have an answer to your question, I don’t know if Linn is measuring leakage current. They have published a fair amount of information on their power supply designs which can be found through an internet search. I’m also sure Linn would respond to the question if asked. Having said that, I’m afraid the technical aspects are a bit beyond my grasp, I only know what I hear and what others have reported hearing - their systems sound great. Whatever they may or may not have done about measuring and addressing leakage current, either they’ve addressed it effectively, or it doesn’t have a meaningful impact in their equipment, or the other advantages they have created with their design offset it.

All really good points, Tony. I fully acknowledge that this is pretty darn complex stuff; I had a to spend a lot of time studying and learning about it when I had to write the EtherREGEN review for TAS. It's...complicated. It took me a lot of reading and re-reading to get my head 'round it as I am not a digital signals processing engineer. I spent a lot time reading about what a flip-flop is, and how it can impact audio performance. :p

My personal view is, that with many "noise components", we often don't know they are there until they are gone. Just look at the work that Caelin and Shunyata have done over the last 20+ years to completely change and inform everyone's understanding about the impact of noise on our audio systems.

The reason I'm asking about (more like harping on) high-source leakage impedance current is that 1) it was only discovered in Oct. 2017 by John Swenson and 2) John had to develop bespoke, very specialized, test equipment, even to measure it. It's clear from the work John and Uptone have done with the EtherREGEN that it's impact on audio quality is significant.

And, I'm just asking EvaAnna, Bruno and Linn...do they even know about it? If not, they should, and, IMHO, they should be measuring it.