AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Is tube rolling purely a McIntosh activity? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19871)

MyPal 05-25-2013 01:47 AM

Mraudio....if you have a couple of Telefunken ECC803S or the Siemens triple mica in gold pins equivalent that test at spec & you would consider selling, I am receptive to a PM. :D

Formerly YB-2 05-27-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayooo (Post 459136)
I've got a box of about 20 or so 6922s that I've rolled in and out of the 6922 based CJ preamps that I've owned....so yea, In my case, I've rolled. :banana:

The good news is I've gotten over this addiction in recent months, I was worried I'd wear out the tube sockets! :nono:

Isn't the 6922/6JD8 the cat's meow of preamp tubes? Have had several different tube preamps and always go back to one with with the 6922s. Really like the JAN Philips and Bugle Boys, but if you have any matched pairs of low mileage 6922s you want to move out of that box, maybe I can help. Always looking for something else good.

Same with the 6SN7s. The reissue Tung-Sol are terrific. Better to my ears than either NOS RCA red-bottom or GEs. Tube rolling is part of what it is all about. Tailoring the system to one's own taste.

mulveling 05-27-2013 11:40 PM

I roll like crazy, and I've never had McIntosh tube amps (though I've love to hear them one day). Got lots of vintage tubes, and I believe that lots of the new production stuff is excellent. No, I haven't found new production tubes that are as lovely as say a Tung-Sol round plate 6SN7 or a Mullard long-plate 12AX7, but they do offer many fine options for perfecting system balance that are affordable, available, and sonically competitive with all but the best (sometimes unobtanium) vintage types.

In fact, I'm looking at various new production 6CA7/KT77/KT88, 12AU7, and maybe 12AX7 to roll into my system. My preamp uses 8 of the EH 6H30pi, and these superb sounding tubes are known for their extreme reliably (not much in the way of rolling options here, though). EH KT90 and KT120 both work great in my amp.

Some gear and some positions react more to rolling. Changes in my amp's output tubes and phase splitter/inverter are currently the big sensitive slots in the system; well worth rolling here. My prior VAC preamp and current phono stage are less rewarding to rollers, but fortunately they both ship with new production tubes and sound great as-is.

rlw3 12-05-2013 03:55 PM

What is great is finding some tubes you really like then pulling them out of the equipment never using them so they dont wear out............

Wasatch 12-05-2013 08:10 PM

I've rolled tubes in all my gear.

matt200sr 12-29-2013 05:28 PM

I have a fairly modified Mingda MC34-AB valve amp that I have tried a few different valves in both NOS and new production. I run a pair of Mullard ECC35 tall bottle brown base in the input stage as well as some Brimar 12AU7's. The Mullards are considered to be holy grail valves and for good reason they are very clean and open sounding with huge soundstage. I like them so much I bought a mint second pair, very expensive but worth every cent in my opinion. I run 8 x Svetlana Winged C new production EL34 valves in the output stage which I am very happy with. Having said that all the caps/resistors have been upgraded and I use these big old vintage chokes and the amp has been completely re-wired point to point with nice 7N copper solid core.

I would run some quality NOS output tubes but the cost x 8 would be huge!

McPlanar 12-30-2013 07:12 PM

I've rolled tubes in Dynaco, Cary, Audio Research, Vincent, California Audio Labs and of course McIntosh. :D

Puma Cat 12-31-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 459132)
Is tube rolling a McIntosh activity

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 459132)
or do owners of other brands of tube equipment do it as well?

Yes.

Spirit Crusher 12-03-2015 04:15 PM

Hi,

I rolled at least 30 NOS types of 12AU7 in my VTL preamp. And you really feel the differences. This job is addicted!

jdandy 12-03-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit Crusher (Post 744665)
I rolled at least 30 NOS types of 12AU7 in my VTL preamp. And you really feel the differences. This job is addicted!

Stefan.......Tube rolling is great fun, educational, inspirational, and expensive if you become addicted. I have rolled tubes in all of my preamps and power amps. It is part of the joy of owning valve gear.