AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pre-Amps & Amplifiers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Finally found What I Wanted (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50553)

Jack in Wilmington 11-20-2021 10:55 PM

Finally found What I Wanted

: Decided I Needed to Go for Tube Preamp
I spent the last two days looking at the used market and I finally worked out a deal on a McIntosh C 2600. It's in like new condition. It really came down to the McIntosh, the Audio Research LS28 and the Audio Research Ref. 3. I want to thank everybody that took time to post, because I had so many parameters to work around that I'm sure it was frustrating at times. Through this experience I discovered an alternative to Audiogon called U.S. Audio Mart. It never hurts to have choices. The preamp should be arriving this week. Early Christmas Gift?

US Blues 11-20-2021 11:01 PM

Congrats! Pix please once you have it up and running.

Jack in Wilmington 11-20-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Blues (Post 1049184)
Congrats! Pix please once you have it up and running.

I will have plenty of pix.

80B 11-20-2021 11:54 PM

Congrats - +1 on the photos!

Formerly YB-2 11-21-2021 08:43 PM

Jack - congrats. A nice thing about the McIntosh compared to the AR is you can tube-roll. With the AR's 6H30 you do not have any choices. With the 12AX7 you will have a couple of dozen choices from mild ($20/tube) to wild ($300/tube).
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Jack in Wilmington 11-21-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1049262)
Jack - congrats. A nice thing about the McIntosh compared to the AR is you can tube-roll. With the AR's 6H30 you do not have any choices. With the 12AX7 you will have a couple of dozen choices from mild ($20/tube) to wild ($300/tube).
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Thanks Glenn, I am really getting a tube lesson these last two weeks. I had no idea that you couldn't roll 6H30's. Is there a good chart around on tube rolling? Like what is available in say 12AX7's from different manufacturers?

Formerly YB-2 11-21-2021 10:32 PM

Jack - no chart I'm familiar with. Check the listings from all the usual suspects (The Tube Store, Doug's Tubes, Upscale Audio, Jim McShane, etc.). Most will have the same new tubes from New Sensor (Gold Lion, Tung-Sol, etc.), EH, and a few Chinese. However, all will generally have different NOS (GE, RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon and various Europen & Japanese). Lots of tube 'opinions' on places like Audio Asylum, AudioKarma, DIY. You will need to check with McIntosh to make sure about the need for matched tubes. For $5, I generally consider it worthwhile in a preamp. You will want 'quiet' tubes in the phono-section, especially if you are listening to speakers with a 90db or greater efficiency.

Edit: If you call, either Jon at the Tube Store or Kevin Deal at Upscale can generally give you a good run-down on their thoughts about which tubes in your C2500. Both are very knowledgeable, though Kevin will be Kevin. So is Jim McShane, but I'm not sure how 'up to date' Jim is on newer gear like your C2500, as he is considerably more of an 'old hand'.

Jack in Wilmington 12-02-2021 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, my preamp arrived, and I still had to wait for the cables that I ordered. Here are some early pictures.

Antonmb 12-02-2021 09:29 PM

Very cool!

dkorbal 12-02-2021 10:05 PM

Looking good!